231 "AKA" 1 Step Sally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 231 "AKA" 1 Step Sally

So I'm starting my build thread. Fortunately mine is mostly done from the word "go" but still there are some things that are always "not my way". First thing, the name.... My wife calls me "1 Step Sally" because it never fails that (at least in her eyes and she's usually right) when I start to do something I always get almost done. No matter what the project it always seems that I don't finish something.

Now back to the build.

This is how I bought it.

Back home and in its new parking spot.

First fill-up. Very thirsty girl. Especially since the previous owner didn't have the sending unit bolted down and filled my bilge with fuel before my daughter noticed "water" running out of the back of the boat

First trip

Couple of new cushions and a new blanket to keep her warm in the cold FL winters LOL

And finally the last thing it needed to make her perfect for our needs.... new power! Out with the old OX-66 headed to the shop for a 4 stroke Yami.

More to come!
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Picked her up from the shop. Brian over at Franzen Marine in Tampa was awesome to deal with. '07 motor with 360 hours fully serviced and deeply checked for corrosion, with a 6 month warranty. Picked up 4mph @ WOT (6K rpm) over the old OX-66. Was very happy to find no wet wood or rot in a very solid transom!! Now to see what happens with economy.

Comment

One step sally lol I think almost all men deserve that nickname .

Very nice boat! The 231 is a great hill. I personally have fished on a buddies.

Any other plans ?
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

At the moment I don't think it needs anything else. Maybe some more cushions and a spray hood, but the current plans are to use it as much as possible. I did get a second head unit for navigation and I want to network the motor and both HDS units. Right now I'm hooked up via ethernet from unit to unit, and it shares waypoints and transducer data.

Comment

How's she sit in the water? I could be wrong but I'm going to guess you'll want to raise that motor all the way up.
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Great looking 231 and love the name. If you epoxy coated that piece of teak trim on your console it would *really* make it pop. [8D]
            quote:

Originally posted by Wpeavy

At the moment I don't think it needs anything else. Maybe some more cushions and a spray hood, but the current plans are to use it as much as possible. I did get a second head unit for navigation and I want to network the motor and both HDS units. Right now I'm hooked up via ethernet from unit to unit, and it shares waypoints and transducer data.

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Love the lines of 231s. Suggestions for console layout would be to move the second HDS unit down to the console surface. That way the units would be side by side for ease of view. The VHF and radio locations are upside down. The mike cord overhangs the stereo unit. A N2K starter kit and Yamaha motor harness could be added fairly easy. The black finish contrast nicely too.
              Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

Love the lines of 231s. Suggestions for console layout would be to move the second HDS unit down to the console surface. That way the units would be side by side for ease of view. The VHF and radio locations are upside down. The mike cord overhangs the stereo unit. A N2K starter kit and Yamaha motor harness could be added fairly easy. The black finish contrast nicely too.
                Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by keyman

I didn't install the VHF or the stereo but I agree that they should flipped. I may try to switch them at some point but the dash is white aluminum so it won't patch very easily if they won't fit in each other's locations. I wanted to dash mount the second HDS but it wouldn't fit anywhere that there was no visual impairment. I wanted it in the center of the dash behind the wheel but it was blocked too much. I needed it lined up on the centerline of the boat so that when my daughter and wife are driving via the GPS their line of sight lines up. When they drove before using the lower unit they were always running too far right because they were standing on the left side and lining up on the bow looking crooked.

I don't know what the N2K setup is or what it would achieve but I'll look it up. I am planning to run a network cable to the engine but that will be down the road a little bit.

I really like the lines of the boat too. I am looking forward to lots of years fishing and enjoying her.

Comment

I haven't updated this in a while but I finally got a few things done that I have been wanting to do for a while. The radio is a Boss marine head unit and it had 2 cheap 6.5" speakers mounted between the fish boxes and the gunnel rod lockers and the sound sucked. I finally got them replaced today with a pair of Rockville 8's. They're 200% better but that's not the best part. I built a box to house a pair of 6x9's. Box is made with .080 aluminum.

Painted it gloss black to match the top. Drilled and tapped the support bar for the sight tower, so I could run bolts down for studs to hold the box. Wiring down the t-top leg and done. Looks good and sounds great.

Comment

great looking 231! love the black pipe work

Comment

Working...
                      X