1978 21 Repower and Transom Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 21 Repower and Transom Project

Ive decided its finally time to repower my mako. I have a 1978 21 that my dad handed down to me when I graduated college in 2012. In 2007 we replaced the floor and gas tank. The project thread for that is http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18501. The transom on the boat is still fairly solid but it is starting to develop some soft spots in it so I figure while I repower I will go ahead and replace the transom. Im debating on whether or not to rebuild the transom as it is or to build it up and put a bracket on it. If I build it up Id like to integrate about a 30 gallon livewell into it too because we removed the original in floor one when we replaced the floor. Now that I live in central Florida and do a lot of bottom fishing Im always using live bait. I currently have a bait tank I use but its annoying to have to change the water a couple times a day in it and it gets in the way in the front of the boat. I have concerns with this adding too much weight to the back end of the boat. Does anyone have experience with doing something similar on their 21? As far as the repower goes Im going with either a Suzuki 200 or 225. I like the idea of the extra hp but Im not sure if its worth the added weight. I currently have a 1996 Johnson 200 oceanrunner on it.
    David Clark[br]1978 211[br]Orlando, Fl

Sounds like a great idea to put the 30 gallon unit built into the transom

I wish I would thought of that I did my transom seven years ago

I have a 200 Ocean runner as well but swapped it out for a much newer etec although use i rebuilt it

I use 30 gal on the port side transom

I just changed out the intake pumps

But your idea of building that tank into the transom is fantastic
    Coleman D Brown[br]6554 Florida Boulevard[br]Suite 233[br]Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806

Comment

Im new to the forum but I have 21B 1983
      Coleman D Brown[br]6554 Florida Boulevard[br]Suite 233[br]Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70806

Comment

That might be too much weight on the stern for a 21. You should reach out to Docfees - Troy has a F300 on a bracket and can tell you real life of how the boat rides with the weight distribution.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I just enclosed my transom and add a bracket with a 200 Suzuki and a baitwell in the transom would probably add to much weight.

Comment

Ive decided to go with a 200 Suzuki and just rebuild the transom as it is. I cant quite do the cost of fully enclosing the transom and adding the bracket at this time. I am still trying to figure out a livewell though. Converting one of the back fish boxes into a livewell sounds like a good idea but again I worry about adding 200 pounds to a back corner.

Comment

Have you decided what to use as a core material? Several of us has used the pore-able core material from Nidacore and a very pleased with the results, you can use ArJay and get the same results. My transom replacement was also a 21 Mako 1990 211 model). Here's the link where the transom project starts:

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top....&whichpage=15

D-
              Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

Thanks for the info Mackey. I wish I had the skills and talent that a lot of people on here have. With that being said Im taking it to Karma Kustoms where Brando is having his mako worked on. They use Coosa board for transoms. I loved your project thread. My dad and I replaced the floor and gas tank and then repaired the inside 10 years ago using your project for inspiration.

Comment

Its been a while since I posted on here but my project has pretty much finished. I took it to Karma Kustoms and had them do the work. It took them a while to start on it but when they did it went pretty quick. When they cut open the transom it was extremely wet. They told me it had 3-4 of water standing in the bottom of it but luckily my stringers were good.

Comment

They got all the old wood out and let it dry up.

The new coosa board transom.

Glassing it in.

Also had the repair a crack in the floor in the back while they were working back there.

Comment

Awesome boat Big Dave. I rebuilt a 1978 21 2 years ago. I love this thing! I raised my transom to 25 1/2 and put a 25 inch f 175xa on it. It runs 41 wide open. Fast enough for a 21imho.

I made more of a v in the transom. In other words I closed it in some from each side. Im using deck level scuppers. The duckbills from gem lux. Driest boat Ive had. Wish I was closer to ya, Id offer a hand! Ill be watching and if you run into anything myself and others may be of help. Certainly glad to IF I can be of any help! I shared my motor size just so you can take from my numbers any valuable info. The motor weighs 483. I carry a portable 50 gal live well. Check out the rule transom mount pump bracket if you go portable. With my Live well in the boat, I do wish I had a 225 but only when its calm. I find that with any heavy waves/chop, I cant go real fast anyway with the 50 gal.

Glad You got your dads boat. My son will get my 78/21 some day if I dont sell it.

Comment

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42968 Here is the link to the hand off. I don't get to see or be on it much anymore. But I know she is in good hands. Love ya Boy. And I can't wait to see it in person next weekend!! BTW, you and Sam too.
                        Neil Clark[br]Lexington NC[br]Prove It All Night[br]1978 21\'[br]Gave her to my son after college Graduation.

Comment

I had them build the floor up level in the back at the recommendation of Talon Marine so that he could make everything look really clean when he rigs the new motor.

Getting it ready to be painted.

Comment

JD at Karma Kustoms found a paint color that he used on a Parker recently that was a very good match to the color of my hull so he used that paint it.

I also am moving the batteries up in see the console to offset some weight of the new 4stroke Im putting on it so I had them glass in some round access holes instead of having the original square holes covered with canvas.

Finally got her home from Karma Kustoms. Im pleased with the way she looks and the work they did on it. I do feel Brandons pain with Karma Kustoms though. They didnt get started on it until when they had originally told me it would be done. Every time I talked to them it was the same we are going to be finishing Brandons this week and then pulling yours in next. Once they did start working on it though they had it done in two weeks and were good with communicating with me about the progress.

I had them move the drain the plug on the boat so that it will fully drain out. I always had problems with the boat holding a couple gallons in the bilge because the drain hole was so far up.

Comment

After reading about Snappergrappers experience repowering with Talon Marine in Oviedo Florida and talking to them on the phone I decided to repower using them. I was back and forth between a 200 and a 225 Suzuki but after hearing some opinions here and listening to Talon tell me about the differences between the 2 I decided to go with a 200. I dropped the boat off with him Monday morning. He is going to move my batteries under the console and reinstall everything for me. I loved his attention to details on my boat and his excitement about working on a classic mako. He also owns a classic 20 mako so he loves when he gets to work on another one. Wednesday morning he sent me a few pictures of how it was coming along.

Comment

Working...
                              X