2 lb or 4 lb foam for 1977 17 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 lb or 4 lb foam for 1977 17 build

Greetings gentlemen. I am rebuilding a 1977 standard 17 and need advice on what density foam i need to put back under the sole. I am rebuilding just as it was built with the same height stringers and floor that floats on foam. However I am going back with marine ply instead of the the original solid glass floor.

The marine ply will be 1/2 glassed with 1808.
    Daphne, AL

quote:

Originally posted by 12voltman

Greetings gentlemen. I am rebuilding a 1977 standard 17 and need advice on what density foam i need to put back under the sole. I am rebuilding just as it was built with the same height stringers and floor that floats on foam. However I am going back with marine ply instead of the the original solid glass floor.

The marine ply will be 1/2 glassed with 1808.

The factory used 2lb foam, I used 4lb in my rebuild. Keep in mind 4lb goes half as far as 2lb does so you'll need twice as much 4lb. If you're coring your floors I dont really see much to be gained by using 4lb
    1990 241 Restoration In Progress
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...241-cc-restore

Nicholas
    Stuart, Florida

Comment

4# and US composites lost this as such
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Helpful to know what Mako used originally. I have a problem with overbuilding things and just want to make sure I keep my eye on added weight.
        Daphne, AL

Comment

How do you plan on supporting the deck and pumping the foam in? Do you have it opened up yet? The later 17s are notorious for having broken stringers 5 or 6 feet forward of the transom. If thats the case youre looking at rebuilding or replacing them anyway and a deck supported by the stringers is much easier to deal with. Also depending on your power you may want to raise the deck a couple inches.

Comment

I used 2 lb foam outside the stringers and around the fish box, and 4 lb foam under and around my 100 gallon fuel tank and leaning post livewell.
            Texas[br]\'76 Mako 23- A work in progress[br]

Comment

All the old foam is out and hard to believe but the stringers are in pretty good shape based on the inspection I did on them. 2TDave i am building a grid on the underside of the sole that will be glassed in and the floor will sit on the lip I left when I cut the old deck out.

This will not be a typical restore. I am building this boat for fishing, hunting, and a a little shrimping so she wont get the great finish work that you guys did on yours. Actually considering going tiller steer or very small console at the most as deck space is very important for my intended uses..

Not sure how to post pics. Can someone enlighten me.
              Daphne, AL

Comment

Just put the boat up for sale in the classified forum. Unfortunately circumstances arising today force sale.
                Daphne, AL

Comment

Working...
                X