191 Console Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 191 Console Rebuild

I have determined how I want to modify my console. I will cut the existing top off and add a new top that raises and increases the angle of the helm and provides a large "dash" area for gauges and electronics. I have worked out the final dimensions and angles but I'm not sure of the best/easiest way to construct the new part.

I have read threads here and on other websites where people made a mold to cast the new part right on the console but I would have to do it in two parts since I am replacing the entire top of the console. I plan to paint the whole console when finished so I don't care about gelcoat. I will use plywood for any needed core material. How should I go about this? What layup of fiberglass should I use? Epoxy resin?

Below is a picture of my console and a picture of the style I am going for:

Nathan Floyd[br]1992 Mako 191[br]2006 Suzuki DF150

I think I am going to cut the top off and use 1/4" plywood for the surfaces. The front, rear, and sides will be inserted down into the existing console and glued using thickened epoxy (plywood doubled up on the rear faces for mounting gauges, switches, electronics, etc.). Then I will use 6 oz. biaxial tape on the inside and outside corners followed by 6 oz. Cloth over everything. I'll use quick fair to fair it all out. How does this sound? I'm still not sure what primer and paint to ise.

Comment

If you are going through all that for a few hundred bucks you can get one brand new and install how you like? Check out Surplus unlimited they have a yard full of consoles.
      [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by snappergapper

If you are going through all that for a few hundred bucks you can get one brand new and install how you like? Check out Surplus unlimited they have a yard full of consoles.

Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem is my T-Top attaches to the console sides and I'd have to find another console that is the exact width at the height that the T-Top attaches but also has the overall height and angles I'm looking for.
        Also, my console is part of my fuel tank lid and I'd have to cut the existing console off and glass the new console on. This would be a good bit of fiberglass work in itself.

Comment

I attempted to take measurements from the existing console, took some measurements from consoles on the web, and some measurements from the consoles of other boats I had access to.

I then put a design together in CAD. I made a cardboard mockup of the piece I want to add to the console. Below are a few pictures of the mockup on the console.

I adjusted the design slightly based on how the mockup matched up to the existing console and below is the revised design.

Now I just need to figure out how much epoxy and fiberglass to order.

Comment

Why are you using epoxy for that? $$$$
            Texas[br]\'76 Mako 23- A work in progress[br]

Comment

I have done something similar but I cut the top off and raised it

I glued plywood to the console and it worked out nice. You could just build a new top out of plywood and bond it like you said . Im no glass expert , not even close but I like 1700 or1200 for stuff like this. My personal choice is epoxy if its getting painted. Sometimes Ill staple the glass around the corners to avoid air bubbles then go back and pull them after it kicks. I also like premixed epoxy fairing compound , just seems to sand easier.

Hardest part will be fairing

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sharpest

Why are you using epoxy for that? $$$$

It's easier to deal with, I'll be attaching new structure to old structure, I have holes to fill, and I am painting it when done.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by davegibbs

I have done something similar but I cut the top off and raised it

I glued plywood to the console and it worked out nice. You could just build a new top out of plywood and bond it like you said . Im no glass expert , not even close but I like 1700 or1200 for stuff like this. My personal choice is epoxy if its getting painted. Sometimes Ill staple the glass around the corners to avoid air bubbles then go back and pull them after it kicks. I also like premixed epoxy fairing compound , just seems to sand easier.

Hardest part will be fairing

I saw your thread and I plan to do something similar to what you did but different. LOL

I have gotten some advice from someone very experienced in fiberglass and boat building and I am not going to mold it. I am going to build the new structure from meranti marine plywood and cut the top off of the existing console and glue the new piece on with epoxy and plywood butt blocks.

I will use quick fair for fairing and most likely gelmagic for the epoxy glueing since it works well on vertical surfaces. I'm trying to limit the amount of work I will have to do from inside the console as much as possible. I'll keep the thread updated.

Comment

Working...
                  X