17 Angler Front deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 Angler Front deck

The front deck on my 17 is soft to the point I (240lbs) can not stand on it with out it sounding like im about to fall through. This makes casting for shrimp very difficult. I need to fix it, what would be the best path for this repair? I am wanting to keep the shape of the top so im thanking from below is the only way... The previous owner must have put a seat base up there or something and did not plug the holes good after removing the seat. Floor and transom is still good at the moment.
    Savannah GA[br]1971 17 Angler

I cut the cap off back to the start of the gunnels for my rebuild but you dont need to go that route for your fix. There no way I would want to try and work on my back in the anchor locker though and Im a good bit smaller. That leaves going in from the top. If you leave a good amount around the perimeter the bow will remain. Cut the skin off, remove the the soft balsa wood core but not the woven roving under it. Grind that clean and grind a taper around the perimeter. Id use a perforated divinycell core and epoxy it in. Then glass over it, fair and paint your non skid. You could also try injecting the deck but it sounds like its a large area and not a soft spot.

Comment

The whole thing is soft. Do I reuse the top that I cut out?or build up from the new core?
      Savannah GA[br]1971 17 Angler

Comment

If you grind is clean on the underside and taper the edges I dont see why you cant glass it back in. May be easier to just lay new 1708 if there are a lot of holes to patch on the old skin. The woven roving underneath will be heavily textured so get it good and clean and bed the core in some thickened epoxy with some weight on top.

Comment

I'd build up a new top skin, but I imagine you can reuse the top if you're very careful..adhesion to the new core will be key.

I recored my bow area with nida by removing top skin and core, laying down 2 layers 1708, then nida, than more 1708 and CSM. I used poly, not epoxy.
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Working...
          X