Coffin lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffin lid

Getting ready to recore the coffin lid on a mid 90's Grady White. Sorry it's not a Mako, but my Mako lid might be next. Haha.[]

The lid is 25" x 64" I was going to use US Composites 3:1 ratio medium hardener epoxy with 1708. Plan was 1 layer of 1708, 1/2" plywood pieces, then 2 layers of 1708. The 1708 is 50 inches wide, so I was thinking 5 yards would be more than enough. Will 1 gallon of epoxy do it? Anything else?
    Rick Loszewski[br]Derry, NH

1708 is designed to be used with poly resin -- epoxy wont dissolve the binders in the CSM backing.

You could use poly resin (many do), and I'm going to guess you'll need more than 1 gallon. I think I used over 2 gallons on my coffin lid.

If you really want to use epoxy, switch to 1700 fabric. 1700 will require less resin than 1708, but I still think you're cutting it close with 1 gallon.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I could use polyester resin. If I do, what is the recommended layup schedule? Some searches look like this:

1.5 oz CMS

core material

2 more layers of 1708 or 1808
      Rick Loszewski[br]Derry, NH

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rickski

I could use polyester resin. If I do, what is the recommended layup schedule? Some searches look like this:

1.5 oz CMS

core material

2 more layers of 1708 or 1808

Yes, that's a good layup. Depending on how thick it is when you get all the old core out, you may be able to skip a layer on the bottom (really the top)...but what you have there should work well.
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I would use epoxy if using a wood core and coat it first. The problem with binders and epoxy is when using straight matt. You can use 1708. Itll take more resin to wet out and is unnecessary for strength than using 17 oz. biaxial but it builds thickness quicker. One layer on either side would be plenty. Vinylester would be my second resin choice but again coat the wood first. You dont want the wood sucking up your resin leaving you with dry glass.

Comment

Working...
          X