Stern sits low in the water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stern sits low in the water?

1982 20cc stern sits low in the water, any thoughts on cause? Could it be wet foam? If it is could I dry it out somehow?

Need more info to help your issue. What is your motor make and HP. Knowing that info will provide weight issue maybe. Wet foam might be an issue too. Pics would help.
    Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I have the original 1982 150 mercury black max, Hull is rated for 200hp max

I cant figure out how to post pics from my phone

Thanks for any help

Comment

Have you moved your batteries and oil tank under the console?
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Moving the batteries under the console would definitely help, thanks

Comment

I'd be surprised if any Mako that old that hasn't had its foam removed and replaced isn't carrying at least 100 pounds of wet foam. My opinion is based on what I found on my own 1982 Mako when I removed and replaced the wet foam. The bilge water alone will saturate the foam from the console to the transom over the course of 30+ years.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mako224

I'd be surprised if any Mako that old that hasn't had its foam removed and replaced isn't carrying at least 100 pounds of wet foam. My opinion is based on what I found on my own 1982 Mako when I removed and replaced the wet foam. The bilge water alone will saturate the foam from the console to the transom over the course of 30+ years.

Is your opinion assuming the boat has been left in the water? What about a boat that has been kept out of the water for its life?
              Bill Murphy

Comment

It's not the matter of whether it was slip or trailer queen. It depends on how well the hatch and lids are sealed. Also if the rod holders drain in the hull and any other openings are sealed prevent water intrusion.
                Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

I cut the coffin out ....YUP! Lots of saturated foam, about 150lbs so far ( only removes half so far)

Any suggestions on the correct foam density to use? Im thinking 4lb density

Comment

Working...
                  X