Florida seems to be the place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida seems to be the place

I did a quick look at Craigslist in my area today and it would seem that there are a lot of Mako projects in various states of repair/disrepair. Prices don't seem to be terrible either. If anyone is looking for a place to start you might check out the Tampa area CL. I saw a couple 17's and 20's as well as 23's and 25's of different models. Looks like a 28 cabin boat with twins too. I travel the area a lot if anyone wants a set of eyes on one before making a long trip, I could probably make something happen.
    '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

I couldn't live anywhere near FL, would have a yard full of "projects" []

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wolfie

I couldn't live anywhere near FL, would have a yard full of "projects" []

Mine isn't even done yet and I've been eyeing a pretty neglected looking 261 walkaround in my neighborhood for awhile. Bitch of it is have a place to keep it for free too.
      Texas[br]\'76 Mako 23- A work in progress[br]

Comment

I'm in the process of relocating from Charleston, SC to St. Petersburg, which is just across the bridge from Tampa. If you need a set of eyes to give a project a first pass, let me know.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mugwump4

I'm in the process of relocating from Charleston, SC to St. Petersburg, which is just across the bridge from Tampa. If you need a set of eyes to give a project a first pass, let me know.

You're not leaving behind any good prospects in Charleston are you?? I'm on James Island and weeding through options to find a good mid-20s walkaround or express style boat. Have some leads but haven't had a chance to go see some of them yet.

Comment

I live in St. Petersburg mugwump! Welcome!

There are tons of project around here that can be had.

Heck, there is a free 20 hull in Naples right now.....

I believe my wife made me buy the house we are in now so I cannot have more than one boat in the yard.
            \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

I'm not leaving my boat! The 23 is coming with me. And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Jeep lover in St. Pete!

Any recommendations on a good marina? I won't be able to tow it once I get it here until the summer.

Comment

quote:

I'm not leaving my boat! The 23 is coming with me. And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only Jeep lover in St. Pete!

Any recommendations on a good marina? I won't be able to tow it once I get it here until the summer.

Marinas here are like gas stations, one on nearly very corner LOL. You'll want to find one near where you're going to live and meet the people first before you leave your boat. Most of them are nice enough but there are some that will go the extra mile to make sure you feel safe leaving your stuff with them. It's kinda like looking for a baby-sitter!!
                '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

quote:

Where are you living or going to be living?

Why won't you be able to tow it?
                  \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

I plan on staying in St. Pete, but where is somewhat negotiable. I work in Pinellas Park, and I'd like to keep my commute reasonable. And, I don't have a tow vehicle! I'm going to have to rent a truck just to get it down there. Since I have to store it somewhere anyway, I figured my best bet for now is to store it in dry stack.

Comment

quote:

I plan on staying in St. Pete, but where is somewhat negotiable. I work in Pinellas Park, and I'd like to keep my commute reasonable. And, I don't have a tow vehicle! I'm going to have to rent a truck just to get it down there. Since I have to store it somewhere anyway, I figured my best bet for now is to store it in dry stack.

Decent older pickup trucks are all over the place here and for not much money in some cases. For the cost of one season in a rack you could have a tow vehicle...When your in a rack you have to plan ahead to go boating...they can only launch so many boats per hour...
                      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

A tow vehicle is possible, but I've had a good experience with the dry stack in Charleston. As long as I gave them an hour's notice, it was usually ready to go when I got there. Not dealing with the boat ramp on a Saturday afternoon is always a plus!

Comment

Well, this is old and I thought I should update. She made the 450 mile drive down with zero issues. I'm sure 3 new tires, 8 new wheel bearings, and new trailer lights helped. We've had it out on the intracostal behind Clearwater twice already. There is a nice boat landing 4 miles from the house, and it fits in the driveway just fine. So, for now, I'm going to upgrade the brakes on the Jeep and keep her at the house.

Comment

Working...
                          X