17 Angler Baitwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 Angler Baitwell

I'm thinking on making the port side box on my angler a Bait well. Does anyone have experience with this? Is the box big enough to hold some shrimp and mud minnows? I want to use the starboard side for a fish box and the large compartment for general storage and fishing tackle. Thank you for any advice.
    Savannah GA[br]1971 17 Angler

The box measures 12x11x12 would this be too small?

Comment

Take a look in FQA section for different plumbing of livewells. Suggest using only stainless steel shutoff ball valves for high speed pick up and supply. Typical of most Mako 17s have issues with self bailing so locating drain above water line is important. Running wiring to console for pump control will require pulling wire thru rigging tubes. Good luck.
      Keyman[br]Paoli, PA

Comment

me personally, i think it would be too small, unless all you need it for is live shrimp. i use that hatch for cast net storage.
        Matt221[br]\'89 Mako 221 w/ Zuke 250[br]\'77 Mako 17\' Angler (under construction)[br]Auburn,AL[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Matt221

me personally, i think it would be too small, unless all you need it for is live shrimp. i use that hatch for cast net storage.

I only need it to keep shrimp and the occasional mud minnows alive I only stay inshore sp dont need the bigger baits. I think the box on the other side would be overkill for just shrimp and mud minnow. Am I correct in thanking this?

Comment

my thought would be that - if all you need it for is shrimp and mud minnows, a bucket with an aerator would work just as well. an aerated livewell seems like overkill for that purpose. and it wont keep pogies or other larger baits alive. just my thoughts . . .
            Matt221[br]\'89 Mako 221 w/ Zuke 250[br]\'77 Mako 17\' Angler (under construction)[br]Auburn,AL[br]

Comment

Before I built mine I used a 5G bucket with holes and a pool noodle for flotation. It works better than a livewell, but its small and you have to pick it up when you move spots. The starboard hatch on my standard was plumbed for a livewell when I bought it. Couldn't imagine its more than 5g.

Comment

I plunged the port box and filled it with a bucket a 5 gallon bucket full will fill it all the way up. Here in Savannah I manly use shrimp and mud minnows for reds and trout we don't get all those nice fish like the boys in Florida. So don't see a need for a big bait well. I have an aerated bucket but want to try to keep as much out the floor as possible.

Comment

Jimmy,

I have all 3 boxes plumbed for livewell. I don't use them all at the same time but its nice have the options depending on what bait I'm using. I use the little one for shrimp and have never had a problem, I'll even keep small pinfish in the occasionally.
                  -Raul
                  from Tampa, FL

:::Under Construction:::
                  1985 Mako 254 - Twin Suzuki 200s in the future
                  http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...rglass-squot-s

1987 Mako 171 Angler - 2017 Suzuki 115
                  http://forum.classicmako.com/forum/c...ngler-splashed

1987 Mako 21B - 2013 Suzuki 150 4 stroke For Sale Soon

Comment

I think that small port baitwell would be perfect for mud minnows and shrimp.

Maybe keep a battery operated bubbler just in case.

Not to hijack the thread, but how are you liking your DF115 Raul?

Any numbers you can share would be appreciated.
                    1988 Mako 17 Angler 2019 Suzuki DF140[br]1972 Mako 17 Standard 115 Yamaha-Sold[br]

Comment

Working...
                    X