Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 236 Reno

Hey guys,

I have tried to sell my 236 with no luck. But in the mean time I have fished it a lot and she has really grown on me. I want to put together a boat I can run 50/60 miles south out of Long Island and fish for Bluefin.

Only issue is the power. I have a 165hp diesel in her now and she only cruises at 17mph or so. Thus a trip that far would take 3 hours or more.

I have come to learn that when you buy a boat you are basically buying an engine. So I have been researching a significant upgrade.

The current engine in a 6 cylinder volvo AQAD40B and is massive. It is in fact the same foot print as similar engines in the 3/400hp range. I am looking into Cummins QSB 5.9 380hp and the 6bta at a similar power.

My goal is to be able to efficiently cruise at 30mph or better with-ought burning much fuel. I know the engine might be overkill, but was thinking the more power then less I have to throttle and the more I save in fuel.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts?

Best,

joe

There was a guy in Houston that had a 236 that he just completed a redo including a 6bt. He had it up for sale on craigslist a few months ago. He claimed it topped out at 27 knots. The 236 hull is just not ment for speed. But it is a great looking boat. With the engine down low and center I think its one of the most stable mako's.

If you want speed for 60 mile runs get a mako 25 with a new 4 stroke 300-350HP single. Some guys are getting 40+ knots with that combination and unbelievable fuel efficiency at 20-30 knot cruise. Or you can double up for twin 175's if you like the idea of twins.

Comment

hows the suggested motor compare in weight? im just curios because it was my first thought
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

Looks like it's a100 pound difference.

I know having a shaft sticking through a hull is very different from outboards, but I assumed the 23's were in fact the same hull.

I wish we knew the horsepower of the boat repowered with the 6bt. I believe those engines ranged from 200hp up to 450 or so.

I am basing a lot of my info on a boat in Mass, a 24' Blackfin. Guy put a 400hp diesel in it which was previously powered with a small hp diesel. He now cruises at 30 and only burns 4gph. I know the boats are a different hull design etc, but would think that doubling the HP would have huge results without adding a ton of weight.

Comment

It may not do you any good to have that much power if you can't fit a big enough wheel underneath it. What kind of clearance do you have for the prop?

Comment

I have some room. I am spinning an 18x18 4 blade now. Could move to a 19 or 20 without an issue. I only get close on blades with a big rake, and get close to the edge of the rudder.

Comment

Consult a good prop guy for advice. Don't assume that the distance from the shaft to the hull is equal to 1/2 the wheel size. Clearance is needed between the edge of the wheel and your hull.

I wish I knew what that would be, but I don't.
              Ole Joe
              Just floundering around
              White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
              1978 Mako 25

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 2mehouse

Looks like it's a100 pound difference.

I know having a shaft sticking through a hull is very different from outboards, but I assumed the 23's were in fact the same hull.

I wish we knew the horsepower of the boat repowered with the 6bt. I believe those engines ranged from 200hp up to 450 or so.

I am basing a lot of my info on a boat in Mass, a 24' Blackfin. Guy put a 400hp diesel in it which was previously powered with a small hp diesel. He now cruises at 30 and only burns 4gph. I know the boats are a different hull design etc, but would think that doubling the HP would have huge results without adding a ton of weight.

That Blackfin also weighs about 1500lbs more.
                1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

Comment

I put a 200hp 4cyl mercruiser diesel in my 23. It is an io so there is a difference there. I also have a bravo 3 drive which is huge spinning 2 big wheels. We cruise at 2900 rpm 27mph burning 4-5 gph depending on load. With the 70 gallon tank we can go where ever we want. Wide open 3800 rpm we get 35-36 mph burning 12-13 gph. The diesel weighs 790 # without the drive
                  Billy[br]1974 Mako23 CC Cuddy IO[br]200hp Cummins Mercruiser Diesel w/ Bravo 3X Drive[br]Bellport Long Island NY[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=42355#319618[br][/URL][br]

Comment

I'll start a controversy, why not? Making the switch to gas would save you a lot of money. Those new 6.2l mercruisers look pretty nice.
                    [img=left]https://i.imgur.com/b1nW04t.jpg?2[/img=left][br]1975 23 Inboard [br]Chesapeake, VA[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=59930

Comment

Working...
                    X