Coffin hatch core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffin hatch core

The boat is out for the winter so I now have some time to redo the fuel tank hatch. When I replaced the fuel tank last Spring I found that the floor hatch was in bad shape the core look wet and was so heavy that it took two of us to lift it off the boat. Its a large hatch 51"x40" I'm not sure of what I want to use for the core 1/2 or 3/4 marine ply not sure that 1/2 will be enough to support the floor? Or do I go with corecell or coosa?
    88 220 with 225 E-tec[br]Babylon, NY[br]

I dont have any experience with coring such a large part with composite but I did use 1/2 meranti plywood and it came out extremely strong.

After I removed the old core, I layed a layer of csm, then 1/2 core, then two layers of 1708. After that I also put a few 1in strips as cross braces and glasses over with 1708.

Roberts Plywood in Deer Park stock true marine ply, meranti and marine fur. The meranti is more expensive then the fur.
    Long Island, New York

Comment

I used 3/4" nida which was more than enough
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

I used 1/2" composite board(corelite) followed by csm, 1708, csm, 1708. It was plenty strong and mine is 9'x3'
        1991 221 w/ 225 yamaha[br]Margate NJ[br]221 Fuel tank/rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58899

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by IDBooch

The boat is out for the winter so I now have some time to redo the fuel tank hatch. When I replaced the fuel tank last Spring I found that the floor hatch was in bad shape the core look wet and was so heavy that it took two of us to lift it off the boat. Its a large hatch 51"x40" I'm not sure of what I want to use for the core 1/2 or 3/4 marine ply not sure that 1/2 will be enough to support the floor? Or do I go with corecell or coosa?

I did mine with ply but if I had to do over I would go with a composite. For me coosa is easier to find
          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

I'd use a composite foam product.

Comment

I ground out the wood from the underside and used 1/2 nida core and 2 layers of 1708 on each side. have half a dozen cinder blocks onhand and it is fairly easy.
              1998 253 W/A Suzuki 300

Comment

Working...
              X