Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this hull??

Hi Guys,

I've been stalking this awesome site for some time and have found a hull that I may go take a look at next week. Here's the link:

https://savannah.craigslist.org/boa/...710029743.html

Here's my question:

1. What area(s) of the boat should I take a close look at (eg. Stringers, transome, etc)?

2. Are there any posts on this site you'd recommend?

3. Any concerns you have in looking at the one picture?

Thanks for getting me started guys. Really appreciate any guidance.

This is going to a project with the kids and me. Want to make sure I make the best purchase for us.

quote:

Originally posted by jaxbeachmako

Hi Guys,

I've been stalking this awesome site for some time and have found a hull that I may go take a look at next week. Here's the link:

https://savannah.craigslist.org/boa/...710029743.html

Here's my question:

1. What area(s) of the boat should I take a close look at (eg. Stringers, transome, etc)?

2. Are there any posts on this site you'd recommend?

3. Any concerns you have in looking at the one picture?

Thanks for getting me started guys. Really appreciate any guidance.

This is going to a project with the kids and me. Want to make sure I make the best purchase for us.

I think it's overpriced for what they're selling first of all. No trailer in the picture which is a huge pain for you. No mentioned engines or electronics or even a center console / fuel tank? Based on the description it sounds like they cut the floors out to inspect the stringers and replace the transom because the cap is still in place all the way around. Otherwise they cut the skin off the outside of the transom and God I hope they put it back on correctly. Although a lot of transom removal and prep work is already done so that is something to consider.

Anyway, if you do go look at it there isn't a transom core to worry about since they stated they removed the old one and it's ready for a new one to be poured. That being said you don't have a choice of what core you decide to go with, pourable cores are great and really easy but they're costly. There isn't much wood to worry about in these boats, the floor is just really thick fiberglass supported by foam. That being said check whatever holes you can access to see the condition of the foam. Wet foam is usually really dark and nasty looking / smelly. Just make sure what is and is not included, I would expect everything that came with it from the factory should be included.

The one picture comment is kinda hard to judge honestly, if it's not terribly far I'd still go check it out. If it's hours away, ask if they can send you some pictures. If they cant I don't think I'd go out of my way honestly. Some people are just lazy and assume if you really want it you'll come check it out though. Often times pictures of boats aren't of the "current" state of affairs anyway. Might look pristine in the pictures and you'll go visit it and find a green moldy mess... "well that picture is from last year I haven't used it since" situation.

Be advised buying a project boat in an empty condition will end up costing you A LOT more money than buying a boat already brought back up to speed. I've been down this road a few times already and if you're not planning on keeping it for a long time you'll never get back the money (or time!) you put into it. Hate to be blunt about it but the truth is rarely nice.
    1990 241 Restoration In Progress
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...241-cc-restore

Nicholas
    Stuart, Florida

Comment

Appreciate the quick response and detail.

Here is the other hull that I was going to check out this weekend. Better condition, includes a trailer but its 6 years older (1979 vs 1985). Price seems a little high...

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa...718045767.html

I've heard the late 70's were good hulls but what do you guys think of this one?

Thanks again.

Comment

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa...713530730.html

Also in SC too apparently.
        \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Also very expensive for a bit project.

There was one near me recently for 2k on a trailer.
          \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Hi Jeepguy - are you saying that there was a 79' in similar condition with a trailer as the one in the following link:

Thanks; just want to narrow the range on what I should keep a close eye on.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jaxbeachmako

Hi Jeepguy - are you saying that there was a 79' in similar condition with a trailer as the one in the following link:

Thanks; just want to narrow the range on what I should keep a close eye on.

Anything before 93-94 would be ideal if you want a classic, Mako was sold out after these years and had spotty manufacturing issues.

The second link you mentioned is still pretty overpriced for an empty hull. I don't see where the 6500$ worth is at. Figure 1000$ for the T-top 1500$ for the trailer and you're left with 4000$ for the hull and some ancient rigging / electronics. The T-top is nice, wonder if the outriggers come with it? Boat doesn't look terrible overall but I do wonder why the engines got sold? I've seen some older Makos with an engine for not much more than this in about the same condition.

As with any older hull you'd want to really inspect everything that you can put eyes / ears on. Open up every single hatch possible and take a good look with a flashlight. Tap around the transom and listen to the sounds it makes when you tap it. Look at through-hulls, see if there's any discoloration / weeping. Same with screws / bolts. See if the owner took care to seal up screw and bolt holes with sealant or just put them in dry.

The biggest issues with and older Mako would be if the fuel tank is original, it needs to be replaced. The original transom drains were brass and are probably cracked which is a point of access for water in the transom core. It's easily repairable as long as the extend of rot isn't far. Water retention in the foam is also an issue if the fuel coffin lid isn't sealed properly or even the deck hatches. If you open the fuel tank compartment hatches and smell fuel chances are the fuel tank has pin holes.

I could go on all day honestly. Take your time and let the deal come to you. Nothing good ever comes fast!
              1990 241 Restoration In Progress
              https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...241-cc-restore

Nicholas
              Stuart, Florida

Comment

In also interested in the first one you show.What I keep telling folks is that these old mako ARE project boats. You're buying a project. NOT a ready to go boat. I don't care how good they look,in ripping it open and already budget in a new transom deck foam and gas tank. That's bare minimum.

Fo

Comment

For me,the 25 in Beaufort is the perfect project hull. I've gotten more pics from the guy and had the storm not messed me up(dang tree)of already have it. Downside to the project hull, as has been said,no trailer. It would be ad game to do anything with these old classics but a full rebuild. You will have a new boat better than most out there for half the price of a newer boat. That's my take.

Comment

I think the project hull without the trailer is a bit overpriced also. The one in FT laud seems like if you could get it for the right price might not be too bad, depends on condition of the transom. I'd try to get that one down to 2500 or 3k. I bought mine in similar condition to that one, had a non running old ass motor but good t-top leaning post and needed a ton of cosmetic work and a total re-wire. Dude had mine listed for 6500 and i towed it away from his dock for 2500.
                    Tequesta,Fl[br]Work in progress \'77 25[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53441&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

I love those hulls. I used to fish one years ago with a pair of 150s on the back. It was a beast.

Comment

There was one near me for $2500 on a trailer with an enclosed transom and a bracket I believe. I almost bought it.

If you are patient one will pop up for the right price. $3500 is a lot for just a hull.

I think $3500 for everything but power is more in line.

Comment

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa...712010896.html

I do not trust Miami boats but here is a decent prospect.

Comment

The first one you posted is a 251/254 and very healthy on the price but can't see the interior. Regardless is the drier version of the classic 25. The strakes don't go all the way to the bow and it has more of a reverse chine.

Good advice give to you so far. How much of a project do you want and are you going to do the work yourself?
                            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                            1985 Mako 20c - sold
                            Fort Walton Beach, FL
                            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                            X