221b transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221b transom

Ok this is for the guys doing the pour in transom. If I cut the outer skin off, then use body filler to put it back on can I gel coat over the filler on do I need to actually glass it back on in order to gel coat? Not really wanting to paint it

You absolutely have to glass that seam and fair it all out.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by We chachin

Ok this is for the guys doing the pour in transom. If I cut the outer skin off, then use body filler to put it back on can I gel coat over the filler on do I need to actually glass it back on in order to gel coat? Not really wanting to paint it

Yeah, no question about it... gotta fiberglass it back together. It's better to go from the inside but if you insist on going from the outside, when you cut the skin leave yourself at least 4-5 inches all the way around. Take a grinder and grind the edges like the edge of a knife on both the hull and the skin you cut off. Then when you lay up the fiberglass you can level out the bevel using properly cut pieces. Wouldn't hurt to lay a layer or two over the entire thing after you get the pieces together.
      1990 241 Restoration In Progress
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...241-cc-restore

Nicholas
      Stuart, Florida

Comment

Thats what I was planning. I saw one post where body filler was used on here and thought that might work to get the transom poured but then I would grind it out and glass it all.

Comment

Working...
        X