Rebuilding 89 & 91 Yamaha 200's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding 89 & 91 Yamaha 200's

I'm prepping for a small winter project. I have a 89, 260 running twin 91 Yamaha 200, 2 smokes. I just bought a set of 89 model years Yamaha 200's and a set of 91 model year Yamaha 200's. One set I searched for, and the other set I fell into...haha. One cylinder from each set is blown. One motor from each set is fine. I was going to rebuild at least 2 so I have fresh powerheads for when my originals needs them.

Questions are whether there are differences between the 89 and 91 model years Yamaha 200's other than the covers? Do we have a few folks here that can advise on the process, what to do and not to do? I'd like to do the job right the first time.
    Rick Loszewski[br]Derry, NH

I hope you enjoy the ones that are heading your way.... I am glad they are going to be kept alive.
    Thanks!!!

Comment

Rickski,

Take a look on marineengine website and check out both models. I think they're both the same but there may be some differences. As far as rebuilding them goes get yourself a good manual. Take pictures, lots of them. Get sandwich baggies and label where the bolts came from. You will end up with tons of extra washers and nuts if you don't! Make sure to follow the torque patterns per the manual and the torque valves for the crank bolts rod bolts etc. I would not follow torque specs for anything not inside the combustion chamber. Last time I tried following the specs I ended up with a bunch of water leaks in the jackets. Opt for boring out a hole and getting a bigger piston instead of going for oversized rings. Just my personal opinion but I've never been a fan of a small piston in a big hole... its just loose. If money is no option it would honestly be better to let a GOOD professional shop rebuild them, then you'll have a warranty if they pop... if you do it wrong and it pops you'll be out around 2-3k [:0]

Why not try to get into some fuel injected motors or maybe buy an older 4 stroke? seems a bit counter productive to rebuild older gas guzzlers... although they are so much more backyard mechanic friendly.
      1990 241 Restoration In Progress
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...241-cc-restore

Nicholas
      Stuart, Florida

Comment

The 1991's are at my house. The 1989's are on a truck on their way to me. On the set of 91's looks like one suffered from a oil tank that developed a crack and leaked out oil. Alarms must not have worked because that motor blew. One piston split in 2 pieces and melted. The other motor is suppose to have 110 to 115 in each cylinder. Think I'll freshen up the running motor with new rings, etc.

I think a connecting rod might have failed on one of the two 1989's on their way. I think I'll take the good one, and freshen it up. I'm in no rush since the 91's on the boat run fine, so I'll probably freshen up one of the 91's and have it at the ready if it needs to be put into action. So I'll rebuild the good 91 this winter and maybe the good 89 as time permits.

I hear you on the fuel efficiency of the old carb'ed 2 strokes. They love fuel. The current motors run great and 2 fresh powerheads will keep her going for a while, and then I'll decide what to do.
        Rick Loszewski[br]Derry, NH

Comment

Working...
        X