230 cabin floor hatch. Armstrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230 cabin floor hatch. Armstrong?

I need access to the bilge area to pump out trapped water in my 88 230. The cabin floor has a drain hole which drains to the fuel tank coffin (or so it looks). Water is also trapped in the forward bilge, which sits lower than the stern due to hull design. I would like to add a 10x20 or similar sized hatch to the floor for inspection to check if the drainage is plugged and to use a shop vac to remove the water. After buying the boat recently, I stuck the shop vac hose down the table stanchion and that worked pretty good. Yesterday I bought a reducer and stuck a skinny hose on the end and sucked the water out thru the 1" drain hole. I really want to look in that area to see if the bilge drain from bow to stern is plugged with loose foam. The previous owner dug out the foam and got the big chunks out, but I find a lot of 1" pieces still in there. He laid a length of PVC pipe bow to stern when he had the fuel tank out. It should drain. It's not, even with the trailer tongue blocked up.

Is the Armstrong hatch best route to go, even with all the concerns on cut out template woes I read using the custom search engine? Is there a better hatch type/mfg to go with for this area? TIA.

After shining a light into that hole, it is not the lip of the gas tank I'm looking at, but the PVC pipe half the previous owner installed to facilitate drainage. My guess is that I need to install a bilge in the bow area or find a mountain to park the boat on to get the bow 3 stories higher than the stern.

Comment

Can you upload pictures? My 238 has a 1 drain from the cabin that run along the keel underneath the fuel tank back to the bilge. There is no factory bulkhead behind the fuel tank so any water from bilge is able to get under the tank. Foam gets wet.
      1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

I'm curious what the 4 screws that form a rectangular shape in the deck are for too.

Comment

My guess it was securing something and instead of leaving holes the previous owner just put the screws back in.
          1984 Mako 238 WA [br]2015 Suzuki 250 APX[br]Central PA/OCMD[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35081[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 1988Mako230

I need access to the bilge area to pump out trapped water in my 88 230. The cabin floor has a drain hole which drains to the fuel tank coffin (or so it looks). Water is also trapped in the forward bilge, which sits lower than the stern due to hull design. I would like to add a 10x20 or similar sized hatch to the floor for inspection to check if the drainage is plugged and to use a shop vac to remove the water. After buying the boat recently, I stuck the shop vac hose down the table stanchion and that worked pretty good. Yesterday I bought a reducer and stuck a skinny hose on the end and sucked the water out thru the 1" drain hole. I really want to look in that area to see if the bilge drain from bow to stern is plugged with loose foam. The previous owner dug out the foam and got the big chunks out, but I find a lot of 1" pieces still in there. He laid a length of PVC pipe bow to stern when he had the fuel tank out. It should drain. It's not, even with the trailer tongue blocked up.

Is the Armstrong hatch best route to go, even with all the concerns on cut out template woes I read using the custom search engine? Is there a better hatch type/mfg to go with for this area? TIA.

Ive been looking for quality hatches as well. I knew Armstrong made round ones but I just saw tonight the 10x20 youre talking about. Thats what Ill probbaly end up with .

What do you mean by forward bilge?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by brando

What do you mean by forward bilge?

The area under the cabin and forward of the fuel tank. The small drain shown in the pic is 4 or 5 inches above the hull. There is a bulkhead there, one that probably forms the fuel tank coffin. In the center line along the keep is the upper half of a pvc pipe that forms a bow to stern drain. The forward hull sits much lower than the stern. Some with 230s do not have the cabin drain. Others may or may not have it, but have an OEM mounted forward bilge pump to eliminate water that migrates forward. I have the drain but not the bilge pump. I'm curious how the original family that owned and make Mako's did such a hit and miss on this. Drain/no drain. Bilge pump/no bilge pump/

Comment

You need to read my project thread.
                David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

The dour screws r for a ladder storage. I have one on my mako 248

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mako248

The dour screws r for a ladder storage. I have one on my mako 248

Picture please?

Comment

Working...
                    X