• Show
Clear All

• 1975 Mako 26 helm conundrum

So this is the helm setup on the 26 inboards

You can NOT sit and drive.

So my thought is to figure out how to mount a Todd seat like this:

http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?id=15&f=13

without losing the ability to stand.

Challenges: under the seat is the direct engine access.

It would have to be removable to flip up the engine cover.

Can't really mount the post to the deck as there isn't a ton of room there.

Anyone have any crazy ideas?
    1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

I bet you could add triple helm chairs very easily and add some height to the console and it would be a VERY comfortable boat to drive.

https://marineproducts.net/40-bait-m...e-helm-chairs/
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

I was thinking a single express style.

The problem is under that cushion is a flip up cover over the engines and the whole seat/cover flips forward.

Comment

I've always thought it would be cool to build a helm on top of that big engine box which would free up a lot of deck space and improve visibility. I have never been on one though so I really don't know how much space is on the box. That would require a redesign of the whole engine cover and a lot of cost.
        Columbus, Georgia[br]1973 Mako 17 angler \"Reel\'s Angler\"

Comment

Have the same boat, and the same problem. Since most all my runs are short in nature, I have just bit the bullet and stand. If I am running any length of time, I'll stack a couple of those square throwable preservers and sit on that.

I did see one where the owner built a small box in the center, and then mounted a seat on it. Did not get a good close look, so I don't know if it was removable to access the front of the Engine Compartment.

Dieseldude,down in Texas has the same boat which he upgraded to Diesels, and sealed up the entire Engine cover. His thread,

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=12314

I am not sure if he put a helm chair in the finished product or not.

He was also involved with the boat I saw with the chair. It went from NY to Tx and mistappeared.

The only problem I have had is that when sitting on the Engine Cover, even on the stacked PFD's, it is a LOONG reach to the wheel.
          Bill[br]Farmingdale, NY[br]\'74 Mako 26 Inboard[br]\'78 Mako 20 w/135 Merc[br]\'84 Achilles SR135[br]

Comment

Custom leaning post/seat mounted on top of the box with a fold-up foot rest.

There was a custom builder located on the west coast of FL that use to advertise in the classified section tghat was pretty reasonable.
            2007 Everglades 243 250 Suzuki[br]1988 201 Yamaha 200 - Sold[br]1990 261 T/200 SWS - Sold[br]1978 25 225 Johnson - Sold[br]1975 20 85 Merc - Sold[br]Jacksonville, FL[br]

Comment

I think short of redoing the whole engine cover-seat thing the best would be to have made a leaning post style cushion, and if you have clearance behind it and under -into the engine cover I would add rod holders for a leaning psot backrest.

you could have the cushion made with extra depth (vertical section) towards the front so you could lean back-sit on it, and then have the backrest or not depending on your configuration.

backrest would be removal like a leaning post, just have the backrest made first, then measure and install the rod holders. Depending on engine cover thickness you may want-need to add reinforcement.

Lot cheaper than those seats you were eyeballing too. And easier to remove if engine access is needed.

Comment

actually the other thought is to have the seat cushion on slides like those cooler slides. And use the fold down legs they sell-make for pop out seats-tables etc.

I'd do that for just the center drivers seat, either side of the pilot I'd leave cushions like is now.

Actually the more I think about I like this idea best.

You'd need to have the slides mounted to the engine cover and the seat legs would have to be folded up, slide it out, put legs down and done. I'd probably run the seat cushion-sliders with a section of box tube to raise and clear the folded legs under. The extra height while seated would be nice too (unless your short).

Stainless slides (Boat Outfitters)

Fold down stainless legs (Garelick)

Comment

orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

A fold down seat? Maybe a narrow say 10" seat that folds down using the fold down hardware? Mount to the front of the engine cover, fold up and it extends the seat say 10" maybe less, fold down its maybe 4" thick.

bracket

or a small folding bench with brackets like this and fold down legs

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Shakes_26

I think short of redoing the whole engine cover-seat thing the best would be to have made a leaning post style cushion, and if you have clearance behind it and under -into the engine cover I would add rod holders for a leaning psot backrest.

you could have the cushion made with extra depth (vertical section) towards the front so you could lean back-sit on it, and then have the backrest or not depending on your configuration.

backrest would be removal like a leaning post, just have the backrest made first, then measure and install the rod holders. Depending on engine cover thickness you may want-need to add reinforcement.

Lot cheaper than those seats you were eyeballing too. And easier to remove if engine access is needed.

Got a tower, so no go with holders.

I think i might go with the seat option just for the driver and mount a plate to the engine hatch on the box. Use heavy thumb screws to hold the seat mount to the plate.

Comment

Damn, I'm so jealous of that beam!!! Looks like you have acres at the helm!
                      1990 Mako 230[br]1999 Mercury 225 EFI[br]2004 Lund Alaskan 1600[br]2005 Mercury Bigfoot 25[br]Wrentham MA[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by nodima

Damn, I'm so jealous of that beam!!! Looks like you have acres at the helm!

9'6" []

Comment

If you spent the money on a nice helm chair you would LOVE it. How often do you sit and drive vs access the engine in that spot?
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL
                          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

If you spent the money on a nice helm chair you would LOVE it. How often do you sit and drive vs access the engine in that spot?

Right now with my overheating issues on the stbd motor, alot. []

There's a 26 in Greenport NY right now that does have a helm seat in that spot, my father is on his way down there (headed to look at big boats) and is going to take some good pictures of how its mounted.

Comment

My Stbd engine that runs about 20F warmer than the Port. Have been thru the whole system, New Heat Exchangers on both Engines, Checked both Thermostats work correct, Raw Water Pump rebuilt and it is still warmer.

What I have noticed is that the Thermostat Housing is Aluminum, vs everything else being CI or Steel, and that the Housing and passages get completely fouled up with what looks like salt. With no place for the Salt to get in, can only figure that this is some reaction between the AntiFreeze and the Housing.

Plan on giving both Engines a good Boilout/Flushing when I lay up this Winter, along with new Thermostats.

Let us know what you find with your heating issue.
                              Bill[br]Farmingdale, NY[br]\'74 Mako 26 Inboard[br]\'78 Mako 20 w/135 Merc[br]\'84 Achilles SR135[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X