Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Mako 201, Possible wet foam replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Mako 201, Possible wet foam replace?

Recently acquired a 1988 201 Mako from a friend who bought it, and then found it wasn't planing efficiently due to what was deemed extra weight. He found some wet foam around the fuel tank and replaced, but did not go any further and it sat outside for 5 years. Once I have it all cleaned up, I'd like to replace the foam if possible to make it the boat it was. Any input on the best method to do this or if it's worth it to do so?

Welcome to CM! The easiest and hardest way to replace all the foam is to remove the top cap from the hull so you can get access to all the foam in the hull, but this is a major job.

The #1 thing you should do is stop water from entering the hull. Seal all deck penetrations, make sure drains are connected propertly (pvc drains from the factory have a habit of cracking), and seal the top cap to hull joint under the rubrail. You might also be able to force air with large fans into the hull and try to dry it out some, although it will never completely dry out.

For some, the extra weight gives the older hulls a better ride. [8D]
    quote:

Originally posted by kmac1701

Recently acquired a 1988 201 Mako from a friend who bought it, and then found it wasn't planing efficiently due to what was deemed extra weight. He found some wet foam around the fuel tank and replaced, but did not go any further and it sat outside for 5 years. Once I have it all cleaned up, I'd like to replace the foam if possible to make it the boat it was. Any input on the best method to do this or if it's worth it to do so?

1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
    X