Mako 20C 1983 Restoration/Tank Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 20C 1983 Restoration/Tank Replacement

Hi guys first post, great forum. I have a '73 Mako 19 right now and this morning picked up an '83 20C. I was hoping someone could help me with the HIN # as I am confused and need to register it. I can post a picture if necessary. It appears to be 9 numbers then either a 4 or a dash, it is not very legible. The final digits definitely say 20C but in between the 9 numbers and the 20C, it's not clear. Any thoughts?

Hi Captain,

Check for a secondary HIN tag in the anchor locker. On my boat that one was a bit more legible. Also, it might be on any documents you got with the sale.
    [br]\'82 Mako 20B http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59077

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion dip. I'll check the anchor locker. I unfortunately do not have it on any documents from the sale as I was the one to fill out the bill of sale and the title is missing.

Do you know how many digits were in your HIN #? Or do you know if the "20C" is part of the HIN?

Comment

All boats after 1972 required 12 character Hull identification #

Comment

Headcase, I saw that online but was wondering if the 20C at the end counts as part of the HIN number. It is right in line with the other numbers and "83 20C" is also stamped a second time above the HIN numbers so it leads me to believe that it is part of the HIN. Not sure though.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CaptainW

Headcase, I saw that online but was wondering if the 20C at the end counts as part of the HIN number. It is right in line with the other numbers and "83 20C" is also stamped a second time above the HIN numbers so it leads me to believe that it is part of the HIN. Not sure though.

On mine, I have 9 digits, a -, and then M20B for a 1982. The "MRK" prefix was worn away on the back one but somewhat more visible on the anchor locker one and included on the old reg when I bought mine.

Also, from what I've gathered, if you have a long hatch in the aft, you have a 20B like mine, whereas if you have a smaller hatch for a livewell, you actually have a 20C.
            [br]\'82 Mako 20B http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59077

Comment

Dip that seems exactly the same as my plate on the transom. The MRK must be worn off. the 9 digits are quite legible, then a dash then 20C. Thanks! Unfortunately my anchor well does not have one, or this would have been easier. I thought mine was a 20C as it does not have the yellow deck and the plate says 20C. I'll have to check the hatch next time I see it. I'll post some pictures when I get it home and cleaned up.

Comment

Try taking a piece of paper and laying it on the tag, then rub a lead pencil on it as if you were trying to shade a drawing. Use a moderate amount of pressure. You need to use a wooden pencil vs a mechanical one, as you are laying the point sideways. If there are any ghost stampings you cannot see with the naked eye, this should show them.

You can also take some chalk and vigorously rub it on the plate. Cover the whole plate, edge to edge. Once you have a good layer, gently wipe away the chalk, and again, any difficult to see stampings should appear.

Good Luck.
                Bill[br]Farmingdale, NY[br]\'74 Mako 26 Inboard[br]\'78 Mako 20 w/135 Merc[br]\'84 Achilles SR135[br]

Comment

MakoDiver - Thanks for the response, I'll try that today. This will also be a dive boat

Comment

Well I got it all cleaned up this weekend... then the fun began.. gas fumes in the bilge that were unrecognizable until I filled the tank up. I guess I should have pressure tested it and will definitely do that in the future, but I go the boat so cheap and knew the tank was a ticking time bomb anyways.. Figured I'd document my progress to help others as this forum helped me figure this out.

Before:

Anyone know where the best place to find new cushions? I have the old ones from my 19 but they are a bit large.

I pried as much of the old foam out of the coffin as I could, then used a sawzall with a long blade to cut a line around the tank and hull to break the seal. I took two chains, wrapped them around the support brackets to lift the tank out but it still wouldn't budge. The brackets were bending and the welds were about to break. Fortunately my father was around and with two of us using 2x4s we were able to jostle the tank free while pressure was applied by the come along attached to a tree above the boat.

Got the tank out:

[/URL]

Cleaned out the coffin, ready for a new tank this weekend:

Comment

Working...
                    X