1990 241 CC Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 241 CC Restore

So I've been stalking this forum for years watching everyone else rebuild their classics... its finally my turn. I picked up this 1990 241 Mako late october 2017 for 4k, completely stripped with an ok trailer.

Planned to do list is as follows.

*Replace transom and close it in

*Replace 100 gallon tank with full capacity aluminum tank

*Dig out wet foam in belly

*Possibly cut out storage areas in transom area

*Raise the deck in the transom area

*Recore the deck

*Recore coffin lid

*Fiberglass center console and reconfigure layout

*Build transom wall for bait station area

*Build bracket for transom

*Powdercoat Ttop frame

*Replace cushions on leaning post

*Sand bottom paint off hull

*Repaint entire hull inside and out

*Complete rewire

*Hopefully have budget for electronics

The day I bought it

So I got it home, both of the axles split on the way but it did make it the couple mile trip down the road. Went ahead and washed her up and started working on the trailer repairs

Anyway! onto the trailer repairs, like I mentioned above both axles were split in the middle. Tires were shot and it didn't have working brakes... so got all of those things fixed before working on the boat any further.

Long story short this is what it looked like after rigging it quickly for the season.

Anyway, I knew the transom was a bit weak when I bought it. Figured I had a couple years of good use left... wrong. Took a few massive waves trying to run in from a nasty storm and came back with this.

Going to be completely rebuilding this hull from the inside out. I've already got tons of pictures of this rebuild.
    Last edited by Xermakius; 12-23-2019, 08:27 PM.
    1990 241 Restoration In Progress
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...241-cc-restore

Nicholas
    Stuart, Florida

Look forward to watching this one; I really like the 241's. You clearly have a saturated core in that transom. What material do you plan to use for new core?

That t-top is really nice.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=31915

Comment

Could it also be that the motors are entirely too much weight for that transom too? That seems really overpowered.
      \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Got the engines dismounted and stored away.

Cut the cap off the top of the transom. The port side was completely rotten, couldn't find any good wood. The middle was and starboard side wasn't terrible but was still wet.

Removed the console and T-top. It's a shame too cause the wiring was brand new last year!

Removed the coffin lid. It was EXTREMELY heavier than I expected it to be. A little history to be had here too, the fuel tank was replaced by the previous owner. Not impressed by how it was installed. It will not be going back in. If anyone local to Stuart FL area wants it let me know, we can work something out. Dimensions are 76" long 26" wide 14" in the middle. 100 gallons.

Lots of standing water in the coffin area, not quite sure how it got there but it smelled pretty nasty. Mold was all over the walls.

Removed the tank after draining nearly 80 gallons out of it... at least all the vehicles are full now? Started messing with removing the foam but I don't know if I'm going to keep the coffin yet or not.

I'm caught up with the coffin at the moment, cut around the edges and down the middle but cant get the leverage to pop the two halves out... think I'm going to just cut it up into more manageable pieces and make a new one like I was thinking of doing.
        Last edited by Xermakius; 12-23-2019, 08:33 PM.

Nicholas
        Stuart, Florida

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

Look forward to watching this one; I really like the 241's. You clearly have a saturated core in that transom. What material do you plan to use for new core?

I'm planning on using Coosa board for the transom unless someone changes my mind somehow... Also going to be bracketing this hull. I really like this hull, rides a lot better than I expected for its size.

Nicholas
          Stuart, Florida

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by thejeepguy87

Could it also be that the motors are entirely too much weight for that transom too? That seems really overpowered.

These engines weigh in at 510 lbs each fully dressed, weighed them myself on certified scales. I do agree they may be a bit larger than they should be but this hull is rated for 200 hp. The ox66 200s weigh the same as the 225s do or pretty damn near close.I believe Ringleader has/had a 261 that has the same power on it and had no problems after his rebuild.

Nicholas
            Stuart, Florida

Comment

A long time ago one of my buddies had the exact same boat with twin 225 black max's, and a full tower with single spreader outriggers. It was a very fast boat! Good luck with the transom. It is a sucky job but very satisfying when you finally finish it. Are you tackling from the inside or outside? Having done one, I would go from the inside if I did it again. WAY less fairing.
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

A long time ago one of my buddies had the exact same boat with twin 225 black max's, and a full tower with single spreader outriggers. It was a very fast boat! Good luck with the transom. It is a sucky job but very satisfying when you finally finish it. Are you tackling from the inside or outside? Having done one, I would go from the inside if I did it again. WAY less fairing.

I'm going from the inside. I'll actually be pulling the cap completely and recoring the floors and various areas while I'm in it from the underside. Might even do the stringers but we will see what they look like when I get in there. This boat cruised at 30 mph nicely topped out at around 55 or so under a full load. She sit way too low in the rear though. Think all this saturated foam and the fact the previous owner put a smaller tank pushed back toward the transom resulted in the squat. So far I've pulled out about 80 lbs of standing water. I'm going to be weighing the trash and the hull next week before disposal to see what the real weight loss will be.

Nicholas
                Stuart, Florida

Comment

Ill enjoy following along here, as well as fb messenger. When you need extra hands lmk and I can try to make the trip up. Hopefully stroken will be able to chime in with his thoughts and analysis of our bracket plans.
                  1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

Following. I also have a 1990 241. Have not done the transom but we have done everything else if you have any question.
                    Mako 241[br][/URL]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Xermakius

quote:

I'm planning on using Coosa board for the transom unless someone changes my mind somehow... Also going to be bracketing this hull. I really like this hull, rides a lot better than I expected for its size.

I used coosa and it is great stuff to deal with.

As for my comment on the motors, my 254 was rated for 370 HP. I was thinking two 225s on that boat is a lot of weight for the transom. That is 1020 pounds. If it was rated for even 300 HP max, then it would have had twin 150s when new which would probably be 300 pounds lighter.

Either way, a bracket is an awesome addition, and knowing the transom is solid is a great thing. I would never think of doing a boat this size again without a bracket for the space it gives you.
                      \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by thejeepguy87

quote:

Originally posted by Xermakius

quote:

I used coosa and it is great stuff to deal with.

As for my comment on the motors, my 254 was rated for 370 HP. I was thinking two 225s on that boat is a lot of weight for the transom. That is 1020 pounds. If it was rated for even 300 HP max, then it would have had twin 150s when new which would probably be 300 pounds lighter.

Either way, a bracket is an awesome addition, and knowing the transom is solid is a great thing. I would never think of doing a boat this size again without a bracket for the space it gives you.

I know what you mean about the rated hp and weight concerns. The 241 was molded from the same mold as the 261, they just put a 2 ft blank in the back to make it shorter. It's the same otherwise. That being said it is also rated up to 400hp. The twin 225s are a bit more power than I honestly ever need or use but they're there if I ever do I suppose. Not much added weight over the 200s either and I got steal of a deal on them. Planning on building this 241 up to accept 4 stroke power some time down the road as well.

Nicholas
                        Stuart, Florida

Comment

Great build. Ill be keeping an eye on this one. I agree with Coosa for the transom, used it on my 17. I see youre in Stuart. Im just over the green algae in Palm City.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 2TDave

Great build. Ill be keeping an eye on this one. I agree with Coosa for the transom, used it on my 17. I see youre in Stuart. Im just over the green algae in Palm City.

Green algae... that stuff is everywhere! I haven't fished the river at all because it disgusts me so much. Anyway, how was it working with coosa? I assume it's still holding up well! Anything noteworthy about it? Screw retention/fastener issues or accomendations for fasteners? Also, how much did you pay for a sheet? Fiberglass depot wants just over 400$ a sheet for the 3/4. Not afraid of spending the money, but if I can get it cheaper elsewhere... hard to argue with that lol. Sorry for the questions! Been researching a lot but a lot of what I find is from people who have never laid hands on it and just parroting what they've been told

Nicholas
                            Stuart, Florida

Comment

Yes the algae is nasty and the whole dumping of polluted Lake O water on our saltwater estuary makes me sick. Other than being nasty when cutting and shaping the Coosa is easy to work with. Im just now putting the deck in my 17 so I dont have long term experience. Anything that is not thru bolted I will over drill and fill with thickened epoxy and then set the screw in the epoxy. That will most likely only be the trim tabs as the other stuff gets bolts. I used divinycell for stringers, bulkheads and deck. Its really nice to shape and I like that I dont have to mess with the cut edges like with honeycomb materials. I glassed in some aluminum strips to tap under the console and will make backing plates for the leaning post. I have a build thread here. 2Ts 17 I think is the title. Check out Merritt Supply for your materials. I have an account with them but even without their pricing is good. Using their ebond 1285 epoxy. Raka in Fort Pierce is good also for epoxy and glass fabric and Fiberglass Florida is close by and convenient. Let me know if you need anything else. I dont check here every day. My email [email protected]

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X