Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mako 20 transom pour questions/ Rebuild started!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 20 transom pour questions/ Rebuild started!!!

Ok everyone I'm going to cut open my transom this weekend and do an enclosed transom with a bracket. I plan on using the arjay ceramic pour for the transom. I have done some fiberglass work in the past but I want to ask some questions before I get in to deep and so I can go shopping.

1. how many 5 gallon buckets of arjay do I need? or how many have the rest of you used? sea cast or nida pour.

2. was going to use epoxy instead of polyester resin, sound good?

3. what oz fiberglass did you use to build up the transom skins and strengthen the transom?

If you're gonna use seacast then you have to use either poly or vynilester resins. Seacast won't bond to epoxy.
    1977 mako 23

Comment

You will not be disappointed using the ceramic pourable transom compound.
      quote:

1. how many 5 gallon buckets of arjay do I need? or how many have the rest of you used? sea cast or nida pour.

I would guess 3 pails...maybe 4 to be on the safe side.
      quote:

2. was going to use epoxy instead of polyester resin, sound good?

The pourable transom compound is polyester based....use a polyester based resin
      quote:

3. what oz fiberglass did you use to build up the transom skins and strengthen the transom?

1708 Biaxial, 1808 Biaxial and 1.5oz Chopped Strand Mat
      There are numerous ways to apply the transom compound and layup the fiberglass but here is link to my experience replacing the transom on my Mako19

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=40429

Be sure to post your progress with plenty of pics and ask lots of questions.

Good luck...

Eric
      A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

thanks guys, I do believe I will use the arjay ceramic over the sea cast or nida.

Comment

Recently did mine and used 2.5 buckets on a 20B. This is with a raised transom and splash guards, but not completely closed. Buy 4 right before the pour and see if you can return any unused buckets.
          [br]\'82 Mako 20B http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59077

Comment

My 25 took 3.5 buckets. Just to be clear Arjay and Nida are the same thing, seacast is a competing product.

You need to use Poly as polelock stated. My build layers were only 1708 and CSM for last layer.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Ok guys I'm going to be starting this project this weekend, and I have one question that I'm just a little confused about. It's the polyester resin. I understand there are 2 main types, your build up resin for laying multiple pieces of glass so the resin will stay tacky and allow there next layer of glass to stick. Than you have your finishing resin with some type of wax additive to allow it to fully cure so you can sand fill and paint!

So my question would be I will mostly be using layup resin to build my fiberglass up to fill in my transom and adhere the new skin to the old skin, then finish the whole project off with the last layer of glass on the transome before the pour with finishing resin?

Comment

FWIW, I used lay up only. A bit confused though when you said to "pour with finishing resin". The ceramic is its own material and just needs hardener mixed in.

Summary of my project was build up inner and outer skins, pour ceramic in from top like pouring batter or concrete into a mold, and then finish sealing the top and typing front and back together.
                [br]\'82 Mako 20B http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59077

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jeremy5780

So my question would be I will mostly be using layup resin to build my fiberglass up to fill in my transom and adhere the new skin to the old skin, then finish the whole project off with the last layer of glass on the transome before the pour with finishing resin?

Avoid using any wax additive in the polyester based resin. You want the transom compound to bond directly to the "green" layup resin.

Eric
                  A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
                  https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

Sweet mother mary of god someone please tell me a trick or miracle to get this damn wood out from behind the cut section of the transom!!!!

Comment

use a small electric chainsaw...seriously.

Also there's a name for it, but I call them chainsaw blade for a grinder. They sell them at Harbor freight. Its dangerous so I would stick with the chainsaw, more controllable in my opinion

The chainsaw, to be honest, is the most elegant way to do it and many have used it before. just be careful and go slow until you get a feel for the wood vs fiberglass.

Comment

Ok I would say I got 90% of the wood out, there is still some on the side that is rock solid and the chainsaw just seems to bounce off of. Have any of you poured the arjay with a little wood still left in the pockets?

Comment

Nobody has any experience with this? There is about 3/4 of an inch of wood in the side of my transom that I cannot get out! Its dry and in great shape. Have used the chainsaw but its getting close to breaking through the glass. Is it ok the leave this and pour the arjay?

Comment

Nobody has any experience with this? There is about 3/4 of an inch of wood in the side of my transom that I cannot get out! Its dry and in great shape. Have used the chainsaw but its getting close to breaking through the glass. Is it ok the leave this and pour the arjay?

Comment

I dont have any experience with leaving wood but would try anything and everything to get it out the arjay needs clean green glass to bond to otherwise it may bot work
                              John[br]1989 Mako 210 (Sold and Missed)[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X