Bought a new project (PICTURE ADDED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a new project (PICTURE ADDED)

Just bought a 1983 mako 201 after I sold my my old one. Guy states he has never had any issues with the fuel tank. However I filled it up, and I may have over filled it because I had some fuel dripping out of the drain hole of the boat!!! So now Im at a crossroad, due I replace a tank and drop $1500 on a tank that may or may not have a hole!

Check the fill tube. Pull the inspection plate under the console. Definitely get the gas out of the bilge before anything else.

Comment

Anyone ever pull there tank, and find it to be in good shape so they clean it up coal tar epoxy it and put it back in the boat?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jeremy5780

Anyone ever pull there tank, and find it to be in good shape so they clean it up coal tar epoxy it and put it back in the boat?

There are few project threads where people have done just that.

There are a lot more threads of people who considered it, and then realized they didn't want to go to all of the effort to remove and re-install a 35 year old tank so they could do it again in a few years.

The tank in my 20' wasn't leaking, but I wasn't about to put it back in. The aluminum fill tube was the culprit.

M20 project-Finally Splashed!
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...r-bottom-paint
        Gallery
        https://forum.classicmako.com/member...kgfisher/media

Comment

Yeah, I dont mean to be a downer, but with all the labor involved, if the tank is old, just replace it...it's a job you really dont want to do twice.
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

quote:

I pulled the tank on my 21 in 2000 or 2001. I couldnt find any reason to replace it. I sanded it, coated it with Zinc Chromate and foamed it back in. I did replace the fuel line and short rubber fill and vent connectors. I still have no fuel leak symptoms. I plan to replace the tank this winter before I put the console and T-top back on. 40 years is pushing it, I think.
            Brian, Cary, NC
            1978 Mako 21

Comment

well popped the tank cover off today and found at least 5 dime sized holes on top of the tank. She fought me for a couple hours but I won and out the tank came! Question my tank coffin did not have a drain hole in it, did anyone add one it the event water gets into the coffin?

Comment

I just replaced the fuel tank in my 1981 mako 21. I replaced the tank and the fill lines, the tank had minor holes, but the original aluminum fill and vent lines had massive holes in them. Have you given them a look? It is a big hassle to replace them... but if its the original fuel system might be worth revamping in one go.

Upon reattaching the tank, I did not foam in the new tank. I created a drain on both the sides of the center beam in the back of the coffin box. I used pvc pipes that drain to the bilge and angled them to prevent water from entering the fuel tank from the bilge.

To finish up the coffin box, I repaired and reinforced some fiberglass and painted the coffin box. The new system works fantastic.
                quote:

well popped the tank cover off today and found at least 5 dime sized holes on top of the tank. She fought me for a couple hours but I won and out the tank came! Question my tank coffin did not have a drain hole in it, did anyone add one it the event water gets into the coffin?

Stamford, CT[br]\'81 Mako 21[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59462[br]

Comment

just ordered my new aluminum tank, 2 week wait. I will replace all the fuel lines even though they look as if they are foamed in as well. Not looking forward to it. ( Did you have new tank fill lines made or did you buy them online???)

Comment

just ordered my new aluminum tank, 2 week wait. I will replace all the fuel lines even though they look as if they are foamed in as well. Not looking forward to it. ( Did you have new tank fill lines made or did you buy them online???)

Comment

You definitely want to replace the fill and vent lines. The original ones are not easy to get out but if your tank has holes its highly likely your fill tube does too. You can use 1 1/2 wire reinforced fuel fill hose and 5/8 fuel for the vent. No need to go back to the aluminum tubes.

Comment

Working...
                      X