Some TLC for the 221B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some TLC for the 221B

So it's been a while since I've posted much here. I was using the boat lightly last year but did get her out for a few trips. Was chasing some gremlins for the past few years with the engine on there (a 1999 Yamaha 225) but figured the stuff out and all was good. Did a fuel tank swap back in 2016 (posted here).

Hurricane Irma hits and the boat is in Key Largo. In Key Largo (upper Florida Keys) we had spotty damage to structures but our place down there was one of the spots. Neighbors to either side did not notice the storm, we had a screen patio removed, a couple of downed trees stopping inches from the house, and crap everywhere.

The boat was not damaged but the cover had all the zippers fail and it's been flapping around a bit. Letting more water, crap and sun in than usual. The boat had to sit this way until June while we got everything resolved around the house. So saga over.... We got the boat out of the water and this is what she looked like... I'm so ashamed! []

Crud everywhere. The side of the boat got this way from the first time I dropped her in the water. We even had crap growing underneath. THE BOAT SITS ON A LIFT?!?!? How'd I get crap growing on it?!

Check out how deep that shine was! []

Crud on the side of the boat from dropping it into the water once to run the engine. What the heck?!

Luis V.[br]1992 Mako 221B & 2018 Evinrude E-Tec G2 250 HO

So a buddy of mine came out to give me a hand. We gave the boat a deep wash. Emptied all the storage boxes and made sure everything was good and dry. Hit the whole boat with Soft Scrub to get everything I could off.

From there we dried her off and got to buffing and waxing. When we got to the outer hull, I had to get down there and get the small start of what looked like micro-barnacles to me. I wet sanded the whole boat to get everything clear of the crud. The sides which I thought was just grease was not. Only way we got that off was boat compound. Absolutely nuts.

Anyway... the results, well that is pretty damn good if I do say so myself. Boat looks amazing. All on 26 year old gel coat!

Look at that water bead now!

So now... the next engine gremlin.... but more on that on the next thread!

Comment

Great shine!
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Great shine!

Agreed! That's 26 year old gel coat! We had some work to do and I have some parts to swap out like seating button snaps and twist latches for the cover.... but beyond that it's amazing how well the hull has maintained in good shape.

Comment

Working...
        X