Hole in keel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in keel

How should I go about this? Can I grind it out and put in a structure epoxy in it? Something with glass strands. I hope to clean it up this weekend to see how bad it is. But looks like wood showing. Havent looked to see what kind of above access I have.

[br]1994 241 dlx twin 200 efi merc\'s[br]1995 181 flats 175 ocean pro (given to my dad)

It would be best if you could clean it up, bevel the hole and glass from both sides. If thats not possible than working from the outside will have to do. I would definitely add some 1708 glass cloth over the repair.

Comment

Yeah, you definitely need glass fabric for that. Realistically you'll have to build it up from outside...I imagine access from above will be limited without major surgery.
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

That looks pretty Gnarly. Is the hull cored? What boat is this on? The other guys are right, you will need to bevel a lot at the edges and then fill the center area to get a nice continuous radius to build up from. I would do many successively wider layers of 1708 maybe something in the realm of 7. This should be one of the thickest and the strongest areas of the boat.
        Tequesta,Fl[br]Work in progress \'77 25[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53441&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

It's gnarly but manageable. Over the years of being on this forum we've seen makos with keel rash, and also makos with voids in the layup around the keel and strakes. I think this was a combination of both those factors.

But without question, grind that out and build it back with glass.
          ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Im not sure if its cored. Its a 1994 241 deluxe.
            [br]1994 241 dlx twin 200 efi merc\'s[br]1995 181 flats 175 ocean pro (given to my dad)

Comment

It's not cored.

Comment

Luckily its fiberglass we are looking at. But I still dropped it off to have repaired due to its location and beef it up. Cosmetic Id take a stab at it.

Comment

My 17' had the bow worn out from being run on to sandbars. Cost about $500 to have it taken down to the good glass and a 5' patch put on with 7 layers of glass. Then painted black.
                  Ricky Friedenberg[br]Savannah, GA[br]1975 Mako Anger 171[br]2004 Sea Pro 206 CC[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X