Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat bottom Cracks near Trailer Roller

Hi everyone,

I have a 1974 Mako 15 that I have been restoring and using for the last year. I discovered that the bottom of the Mako had some work done around the rollers of the trailer, where the boat rests on the rollers. I can see the repair work, the gel coat is slightly a different color. I found 2 hairline cracks about one inch in length in the front and back of one of the rollers, at the edges of the repair work, very slight, but noticeable. I am not getting any water out of the back after removing the drain plug when the boat has been in the water for 4 hours, so I don't think water is getting in. I'm looking for advice on repairing the hairline cracks. It is possible the cracks are nothing more than fill that was not sanded down completely. I have the fill, epoxy, and gel coat for repairs on the V point as well (some scraps from a former owner). Let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone!
    Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

More information. From what I can see, it looks like someone did repair work to the hull right under the trailer roller. What appears to be a crack is fill that was not sanded down enough. The gel coat in this location of the hull is pealing off, so I guess I will have to pull the boat back on the trailer, sands the area down, and then re-apply the gel coat. That sound right? Anything I should watch for? This will be a first for me.
    Mark Kriz[br]Mako15 1974[br]Mercury Thunderbolt 800 1972[br]Maple Valley, WA[br][br]

Comment

Hate to say it but the "best" way to solve this is to grind out the crack and fill with glass, then filler, then gel coat.
      ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. If I do grind it out, how do I add the glass? Does it go in the inside of the hull, or can I put it on the outside, smooth it over with fill, and then gel coat? I'm not allergic to work, and I would rather do it right. I already have a plan to move the boat back on the trailer so I can get at the questionable area.

Comment

Justin is right- the cracks are from flexing, but you must cure the problem which is the fact that the roller is pushing up into the hull, either from the weight of the boat or from rough roads. Personally I'd look at converting to a bunk trailer which supports the hull better, especially if the bunks are under a stringer.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

There is a small chance that a roller popped off at some point and bare metal raked the hull

But either way, grind, build up with glass, fair, gel.
            ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

So grind, glass, fill and gel coat wins! I did think about getting a bunker trailer to replace the roller trailer I have now. If I do keep the current roller trailer, I'm thinking of replacing the springs, looks pretty easy to do. The leafs seem to be OK, but they are a bit flat. No idea if the rollers ever popped off, but there is some repair work on the hull under both mid section rollers. Some repair work in the front as well, and the back (gel coat does not match perfectly). I have more things to learn about boat repair!

Comment

Working...
              X