Mako 231 Project 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 231 Project 2018

Attempting to post this for my dad, hopefully I have figured out imgur. We Picked up this 1988 231 from Jupiter in Mid-December from another member on here after selling our 1986 Mako 17 that we re-did a few years back. Mike, the previous owner, did a bunch of the hard work (replacing tank, removing bottom paint, provided us with countless spare parts coming from multiple 231's, and tracked us down 30 miles after leaving jupiter without two spare trailer tires. Thanks Mike! Here are some pictures of the progress so far and of the old ride...

Mike also helped us adjust some bunks for the trip back to NC

Waiting on the Garmin 942 to put above the wheel

I think we are going to need to go with a larger 10' to 12' bimini but this one worked fine to keep us dry on a rainy Memorial Day Weekend. More pictures to come, heres the old 17 that has a new home in Oriental NC. I was a little more involved with the 17 than the 231 as I was on summer break in college, but I've been trying to get back home on weekends to work on the 231 as I'm working now. Got a lot done this past weekend.

Pretty work guys...love the name...yes, she is.
    Ole Joe
    Just floundering around
    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Thanks for the kind words flounder. The wiring guy finished up today as neither of us are too electrically inclined. After finishing some adjustments with hatches and finishing up the hydraulic steering we'll just need to mount and tie in the GPS and transducer when they get here. A lot of other little things need to be done as well.

Hopefully we can wrap this up soon and get out on the water

Comment

looks great...really like the console area.
        1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

Looks great! What brand is that seat?
          Texas[br]\'76 Mako 23- A work in progress[br]

Comment

The maker of that seat is Llebroc Industries, and I'm pretty sure the model is called "billfish"

Comment

Nicely done. Those seats look like they are way on up there!
              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
              1985 Mako 20c - sold
              Fort Walton Beach, FL
              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Very Nice! That is going to be a sweet rig.
                \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Nice Work Brother! on the same trip! my M20 is in the water my 231 is sitting next to my house, Transom done ( looks like an inboard) Backet in a box behind it Chopped the tank down to 100 gals, left me 40 inches for a step-down head because the console folds forward so nice Did the dash just like yours ( havent even cut a hole in it yet) just about ready to wire it etc and put new power on it love the yellow.

Comment

just taking a closer look, no teak landing pad or console and no of the original weatherstrip om the windshield what did you use?

Comment

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Sailor- We built the seating console tall on purpose so we would have room to play with the height. The picture with the seat was taken before we had taken some off, and we may end up having to take a little more off after taking some measurements of deck to top of seat from other boats.

Ltclimb- On the windshield gasket material I believe we used some from Aluminum 2000/Pompanette/American marine. I can try to find a part number if you need it. Have any pictures of the progress on your 231? The hull might look yellow because of the time of day the picture was taken, but it's actually the original gelcoat. We had it painted with Alexseal from the rubrail in.

Comment

We finally got the boat on the water for a few days on the weekend before the 4th and it ran great. Being almost 3 weeks ago I can't really remember any numbers or the top speed. Here are a few pictures from the first outing:

And got the 231 placards on before the boat is up to Maine for the summer. Eddie did a great job on these, they look great.

Comment

Great looking boat. You guys made it beautiful in less then 10 posts lol.

Why is the engine on a bracket? Looks like a 25in shaft.

Seems like more negative weight in the stern then needed or wanted. But I do see that your scuppers are above the water line. So that's good.
                          Fort Lauderdale, FL[br]1990 231 Mako[br]1998 Keywest 1720[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48918[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57912[br][/url]

Comment

The jackplate was on there when we got it, and was added after the transom was redone. At first we thought we would remove it, but decided not to mess with it since it gives us a few more inches of room back there. With batteries and freshwater washdown tank under the console I think it evens out alright even with the added weight of the four stroke.

Comment

Working...
                            X