Livewell project and more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livewell project and more.

I have several projects in mind for my 261 this year. One is that in going to reroute the plumbing for the love well and convert one of the rear side boxes to a livewell. At the same time I'm contemplating cutting the in-deck livewell tub out which would give me access to tear out some wet foam under the rear section of the deck. Then just planning to seal the hatch back on and call it a day. Anyone see any structural issue with cutting that tub out? Anyone done it? I'd leave the lip and maybe a little of the tub wall dropping down.
    1992 261

Sure you will get better advice than mine, but structurally speaking the vertical walls formed by that tub with proper foam bed under the bottom would certainly give some support to the surrounding area. I am sure this can be modified with the proper adjustments. I would be interested in the closest distance to the stringer support in any direction from the lip of the livewell. I would think somebody with a 261 has pulled that tub.
    1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking, would it be a support issue. Hoping someone has some experience with it. I'm looking to lose some weight in the rear of the boat from wet foam. I supposed i could take out the tub and foam, make a little bit of a temporary wall between where the current tub sits and the bilge access and then fill it with fresh foam.
      1992 261

Comment

Why take the livewell out? It makes for great wet storage of lines, anchors, trash, etc. Personally I'd focus more on keeping water from getting to the foam and go fish. A little extra ballast just makes the boat ride better. [8D]
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Why take the livewell out? It makes for great wet storage of lines, anchors, trash, etc. Personally I'd focus more on keeping water from getting to the foam and go fish. A little extra ballast just makes the boat ride better. [8D]

The reason to take it out is to remove wet foam. Other than that I'd leave it. Trying to get the stern to sit higher in the water. Currently in flat calm the scuppers are under water.
          1992 261

Comment

Must be a "boat load" of wet foam...sorry for the pun. Not exactly sure of the 261,but I would look at moving batteries thats a bunch of weight and maybe finding the source of the water.
            quote:

Originally posted by BillyM

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

The reason to take it out is to remove wet foam. Other than that I'd leave it. Trying to get the stern to sit higher in the water. Currently in flat calm the scuppers are under water.

1982 Whaler Montauk 90HP( sold)[br]1977 25 Mako CC 225HP

Comment

Batteries are in the console. I think it's just the fact that it's a boat that's over 26 years old. You can reach in through the bilge access and feel that the foam is wet, I'm mostly just concerned with losing some weight toward the stern. I don't think this is an issue of where the water comes in, over that length of time it comes in from a lot of places. I'd be surprised if a classic mako didn't have wet foam.
              1992 261

Comment

I tore mine out when I did the tank. I then build bulk heads and re-poured the foam. The well is now an insulated cooler, the deck is supported and the foam is bone dry and sealed off.
                [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

Working...
                X