261 Center console questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 261 Center console questions

Hello all, my first post with a quick question.. I am new to the forum and tried the search feature but I keep getting timed out. So I thought I would just ask.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the center console on a 261 with a larger unit? Im interested in dry storage for 10+ rods and fishing gear. Im thinking a console with a door and deck alterations so the console is similiar to newer model center consoles made today. I doubt I am the first to consider such a renovation. I realize the front of the fuel tank is located under the console but figure I would ask if someone has done this.. Thanks in advance.

Eric

It wouldnt be fun or easy and I cant even get into the science of the cg or how youd deal with it. Im guessing the easiest way to do it would be 2 tanks, one slid forward to the deck fish box and one as far aft as possible(maybe even do away with the in deck livewell) or relocate it between the two tanks. Then get or make a console with a side door that you step down into(essentially stepping down into the livewell) you could probably get some 6 rods in there without making the console taller. My biggest fear would be throwing the cg WAY off. I have the coffin out of mine Ill try to remember to measure the distance between the deck and chine just so you can see how much room there is. The wasted space in front of the coffin annoys me but I dont have any genius ideas or needs for more work.
    1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

The console on a normal CC 261 is pretty damn big to start with. Are you looking for more of a walk-around cuddy? Because if so, Mako made them. Not as common as center consoles but they are out there. There is a pretty neglected one with twin Ocean Pros that has been sitting for at least three years near a rental property I own on the coast in South Texas.
      Texas[br]\'76 Mako 23- A work in progress[br]

Comment

Enclosing your gunwale rod holders might be an option worth considering. Not sure you could get ten offshore rods with reels in them, but with some planning, eight may fit. Reel size will be a limiting factor. On my 25, 30's fit, but 50's and TW's do not. The door to liner clearance is too small. Your 261 may have more room.

The old Mako set up looked like this.

Ole Joe
        Just floundering around
        White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
        1978 Mako 25

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by 231Mike

It wouldnt be fun or easy and I cant even get into the science of the cg or how youd deal with it. Im guessing the easiest way to do it would be 2 tanks, one slid forward to the deck fish box and one as far aft as possible(maybe even do away with the in deck livewell) or relocate it between the two tanks. Then get or make a console with a side door that you step down into(essentially stepping down into the livewell) you could probably get some 6 rods in there without making the console taller. My biggest fear would be throwing the cg WAY off. I have the coffin out of mine Ill try to remember to measure the distance between the deck and chine just so you can see how much room there is. The wasted space in front of the coffin annoys me but I dont have any genius ideas or needs for more work.

Thanks for the reply. Most projects I elect are not straight forward and that sometimes is annoying in itself. I realize the negative with moving the fuel tanks aft with these boats and the negative performance. I also realize the room in front of the tanks and wondered if there was a way to utilize the space better. I appreciate the measurements if you have time to get them. Could you also measure the footprint of the actual console? There are a bunch of aftermarket ones I am considering. Appreciate the help.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sharpest

The console on a normal CC 261 is pretty damn big to start with. Are you looking for more of a walk-around cuddy? Because if so, Mako made them. Not as common as center consoles but they are out there. There is a pretty neglected one with twin Ocean Pros that has been sitting for at least three years near a rental property I own on the coast in South Texas.

Hi Sharpest. I did consider this and and woukd prefer the center console. Too much lost fishing space on the walk around. Just trying to find a way, if possible, to make a cc work. May not be but thought worth a conversation.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by flounder

Enclosing your gunwale rod holders might be an option worth considering. Not sure you could get ten offshore rods with reels in them, but with some planning, eight may fit. Reel size will be a limiting factor. On my 25, 30's fit, but 50's and TW's do not. The door to liner clearance is too small. Your 261 may have more room.

The old Mako set up looked like this.

Flounder- you beat me to it. This was my next consideration. I dont have to many 80s but many 30s and 50s. Do you use the forward seating dry storage for the rest of the tackle? Appreciate the insight

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dvm04

quote:

Thanks for the reply. Most projects I elect are not straight forward and that sometimes is annoying in itself. I realize the negative with moving the fuel tanks aft with these boats and the negative performance. I also realize the room in front of the tanks and wondered if there was a way to utilize the space better. I appreciate the measurements if you have time to get them. Could you also measure the footprint of the actual console? There are a bunch of aftermarket ones I am considering. Appreciate the help.

You could fit a big tank forward, then maybe a small aux tank behind your sunken console idea. Youd have to play with which to drain first for ride characteristics. I am narrowing my console by cutting off the wider base. Without it and the teak trim ring it is approx 5 narrower. I could cut the console in half and section out another 1.5 but its just too much work for the return. The limiting factor is the rigging tubes that come up into the console. Of course if you reconfigure the tank layout you could narrow them too and get even more room. Ill take measurements tonight
                1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

Well yes, kinda. The forward seating gets belts, harness, packaged lures, spreader bars, etc. No rods or long stuff fit there, the boxes are way too short for that.

Our larger outfits (used to) go into the Tee top holders and/or the leaning post holders. I've sold off all our TW's and 50's. Kept six 30's for "what if" days.

Gaffs are fastened to the front Tee top supports with velcro straps.
                  Ole Joe
                  Just floundering around
                  White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                  1978 Mako 25

Comment

quote:

quote:

quote:

You could fit a big tank forward, then maybe a small aux tank behind your sunken console idea. Youd have to play with which to drain first for ride characteristics. I am narrowing my console by cutting off the wider base. Without it and the teak trim ring it is approx 5 narrower. I could cut the console in half and section out another 1.5 but its just too much work for the return. The limiting factor is the rigging tubes that come up into the console. Of course if you reconfigure the tank layout you could narrow them too and get even more room. Ill take measurements tonight

Thanks for the measurements. The two tank idea could work and have the void in the middle for the step down console. Each tank could supply each engine vs primary /secondary as well so they both drain at the same rate. This would entail removing the center bow storage and a custom tank being made in this space. The original tank length would need to shortened and moved aft creating the space in between. May actually help with porpoising wih heavy 4 strokes.

Comment

Theres 24 wide that is 24+ deep below deck to make a recessed rod holder area. You could fit a 75-80 gallon tank in front of the coffin, but behind the fish box. console looks to be about 49 wide Ive narrowed mine to 44.5 wide. Rigging tubes are 43 wide to the outer edges. If you need anything else lmk. This weekend Im hoping to start reinstalling my coffin

Comment

quote:

Theres 24 wide that is 24+ deep below deck to make a recessed rod holder area. You could fit a 75-80 gallon tank in front of the coffin, but behind the fish box. console looks to be about 49 wide Ive narrowed mine to 44.5 wide. Rigging tubes are 43 wide to the outer edges. If you need anything else lmk. This weekend Im hoping to start reinstalling my coffin

Roger that, thanks alot. I will try to find the link for a console I am considering and post. How far does the console extend towards the bow? So roughly 49 x what? I will post the link....I hope.

Comment

quote:

quote:

Roger that, thanks alot. I will try to find the link for a console I am considering and post. How far does the console extend towards the bow? So roughly 49 x what? I will post the link....I hope.

Something like this:

http://boatconsolesandbaitwells.com/...model-console/

Comment

Working...
                          X