Replacing Water Stripe - Mako 234CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Water Stripe - Mako 234CC

The existing water stripe is peeling off in spots - so I'm looking to replace. Where can I locate the same type / style / color scheme of the existing stripe? The patten consists of two very thin pinstripes above, then a thick black stripe, a gold stripe down the middle, and another thick black stripe of equal diameter at the bottom. Not sure is this style is a custom pattern, or stock from Mako. Also - would it need to be 'matched' with individual components (as listed above) - or does Mako offer a composite?

Lastly, I'd like to remove the existing stripe and install the new one myself. How difficult of a project, or should I consider having it done professionally.

Hi! I just removed and replaced mine this winter. Check out www.hullstripe.com. Take a image and measurements and they will make you up nearly anything you like. They also sell the remover and application solvent, which I would recommend getting. If you are not sure on the colors, he will also mail you a swatch card before ordering.

Plan on an afternoon with a heat gun, solvent and plastic blade to remove th old adhesive, ( mine was a PITA ). Youll probably see fade marks, but Id mark with a pencil where the old stripe was... Getting the new bootstripe on is easy and there are some helpful techniques you can pick up on by searching You Tube. Id also get a friend to help you put the new stripe on, if nothing else, just to hold the tape as you apply it.

Hope this helps!

Happy to send you pics of what I did if helps.
    Jack[br]LANDFALL Mako 232[br]Rocky River, OH

Comment

Sorry, try www.hullstripes.com...
      Jack[br]LANDFALL Mako 232[br]Rocky River, OH

Comment

Thanks Jack - I'll give that a try!...

quote:

Originally posted by Freshwater Shark

Sorry, try www.hullstripes.com...

Comment

Just my two cents, but forget solvents and scrapers when removing the old stripes. Get a "whizzy wheel" (there are many like it out there and I assume they all work). Its basically a large eraser - attach it to your drill and run it along the stripes and they are gone. I just removed all the decals off my 2001 engine cowling in about 30 minutes - no damage to the cowling and no residue left. Highly recommend you try it. It's only about $10 on Amazon. It does "wear out" after a while so, if the job is big, buy more than one. I intend to buy another one for removing my stripes later this spring. Good luck.
          Chris[br]2001 221 Mad Swagger[br]2001 Merc 200 Optimax[br]Wild Harbor[br]North Falmouth, Massachusetts[br]

Comment

Thanks Chris - really appreciate the tip....
            quote:

Originally posted by 231Fan

Just my two cents, but forget solvents and scrapers when removing the old stripes. Get a "whizzy wheel" (there are many like it out there and I assume they all work). Its basically a large eraser - attach it to your drill and run it along the stripes and they are gone. I just removed all the decals off my 2001 engine cowling in about 30 minutes - no damage to the cowling and no residue left. Highly recommend you try it. It's only about $10 on Amazon. It does "wear out" after a while so, if the job is big, buy more than one. I intend to buy another one for removing my stripes later this spring. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X