transom add on's 1979 mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transom add on's 1979 mako

I bought my 1979 19' Mako with my paper route back in 1985. I have had it ever since. There has always been an issue with water rushing in when I move to the stern. I need to repower her soon and know it will be even heavier then the 1982 150 hp mariner thats on there now. I am considering adding two "pontoon" style boxes on each side of the stern to add buoyancy and will double as a swim platform. Does any one have any idea or pics on it being done already. I was gonna make it out of 1/2" plywood then glass. Think that will be strong enough or can I get away with 3/8" to save some wait. I am basically looking for any idea's here

Hey neverenough

You really dont need wood for strength. You could use foam core or you could build a temporary mold using melamine and do glass only. I would do three mats and a biax (1708). If you use plywood You can use 3/8 for sure as you are basically just using it to get the shape.

Comment

Where are your batteries located? Moving them to the console would get weight off your stern and help with the water problem.

Comment

What about high flotation Armstrong bracket and leave the transom notched so that the bracket could be around 12 or 14 inch long? I would move all the weight you can up front you can. Does the transom have water in the plywood adding extra weight?
        1978 Mako 21[br]Schneider [br]Butler, PA

Comment

Working...
        X