1995 Mako 231 "Tuppens"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Mako 231 "Tuppens"

Good afternoon to all, as I start this thread I realize the things I am doing are not "projects" like the big boy stuff most of you all do, but rather little odds and ends that make a difference to me. Although, at some point I am sure I will need to tackle some of the bigger items down the road.

So I purchased this 231 about a month ago and have yet to put her in the water yet [] mainly due to weather and replacing items. When I bought the boat I checked the transom as best I could and the fuel tank and both seemed in good-great shape, so I decided to put those on hold for a bit. The motor is a 2015 ETEC 200 HO with 120 hours on it and 8 years of warranty left. It runs like a champ and pushes this boat very well loaded down, much to my surprise. Also, all of the electronics have been moved under the console, rewired and in a neat, orderly fashion. All new stereo, 4 JL 8.8s, JL amp and fusion head unit, Brand new Simrad GO9 with all in one transducer. Lucky me I suppose.

So, I started with ordering all new GEMLUX thru hulls, sea-cocks, hinges, scuppers and latches. I pulled all the old thru hulls out, cleaned the old caulk and put the new stainless hardware in. Removed the brass sleeve for the drain plug and put in a stainless Garboard threaded type, removed the brass sleeve scuppers and installed new stainless sleeves with screw on flanges for each end and replaced the old oval scupper cover with new stainless oval covers and new rubber flaps. On the two forward fish boxes I removed the plastic drain tube and replaced with the same thing I used for the scuppers. Got rid of the flimsy hinges and put on the nice thick, stout GEMLUX hinges. Took out the old bolt with a nut for pull handles on the boxes and drilled/mounted the lift and turn style latches. On the under gunnel rod holder set up I replaced those rubber whisker biscuits that the rod tips go through with new more flexible whisker biscuits. Bought a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" starboard and cut out and routered new holders to replace the tan ones. I've found some stainless rod holders from Taco Marine to replace those old gold metal and black plastic ones.

Installed and plumbed a fuel water separator.

Added 600' of anchor line

ON THE TO DO LIST

*Replace the hydraulic trim tabs with Lencos

*Fabricate and replace the remaining tan starboard pieces

*Add a plethora of cup holders

*Install raw water wash down system

*Install fresh water wash down system

*Spice up the plain jane T-Top with items such as forward and aft tbags for life vest, add anchor light, 8' vhf antenna, simrad vhf, electronics box with vhf mounted and dome light, grab rails on both sides and on uprights, 6 rod holders across the rear, 2 LED spreader lights in the rear and one on the front.

*Complete rewire and redo of the trailer

*replace old rod holders with new

*Replace factory windshield with a custom acrylic

And the list goes on []

Any and all comments, questions or guidance is greatly appreciated and if someone would like to give me a step by step of how to upload pictures I would love to do so. Thank you again for reading.

Matt
    1995 231 Tuppens

1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Here is the new hardware

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mxQ03VHl.jpg[/img

1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Very nice. Your entire to do list is on mine also, just much further down the road when my boat looks like a boat again.

If you could please post or email me the links for all the hardware you got in that picture it would be a huge help. I need to find the thru hulls and drains and like the look of those.

What kind of numbers do you get with the 200hp etec?

Where are you located At? I'll take all the old rod holders if your selling them or giving them away.

Make sure you fill those holes in the transom around the trim tabs. That will eat your transom faster then you would think.

231 is a great hull you will love that boat.
        Fort Lauderdale, FL[br]1990 231 Mako[br]1998 Keywest 1720[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48918[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57912[br][/url]

Comment

Make, all of the hardware came from GEMLUX directly. Their headquarters and warehouse is right here in Jacksonville, so it was easy to pick them up. What I did was go to their website www.gemlux.com and browse through their catalog. Anything that you don't see in their catalog just give them a call and they probably have it. Those stainless oval scupper covers were not in the catalog but when I called they said they had them. Let me know when you get to the point of wanting to order these items and I will put you in contact with the guy I dealt with there. Excellent people there and the customer service has been second to none.

I'm up in Jax but I get down south a few times a year and would be more than happy to give you the old rod holders and anything else you need that I don't.

As far as performance of the 200ho, I don't really have anything to give yet. I've owned the boat for about a month and have yet to splash her due to replacing thru hulls and such. Only real time I get to work on it is when I pull it to the firehouse with me and pray we have a quiet day. Got 2 kids under 2 years old at the house, so life is busy []

I will say that the day I test drove her we had 5 of us in the boat and a couple coolers loaded down and we popped out of the hole super quick and topped out at around 38-39.

I have a cover plate and screws for those holes. Just had them out so I could give measurements to the Lenco guy.

Any questions or suggestions feel free to call or text 9 zero 4 5 three six 66 four 5
          1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

What did you use for the front fish boxes? I want to replace the plastic fittings, i had one come apart and pour fish blood down into the boat. Thanks
            1991 221 w/ 225 yamaha[br]Margate NJ[br]221 Fuel tank/rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58899

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by hunt-mor

What did you use for the front fish boxes? I want to replace the plastic fittings, i had one come apart and pour fish blood down into the boat. Thanks

Same thing I used to replace the brass sleeves for the scuppers. They are little 3" long threaded nylox nipples that you cut down to length and then screw on the stainless end caps to both sides. I had to take a hole saw and make the opening a little bigger. After they were in I just used some Life Seal on the flanges of the stainless pieces and screwed them on. I also got them from GEMLUX. Let me know if you have any issue tracking them down on their website and I would be happy to grab a couple for you and mail them to you.

1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Thanks for the info. I looked at the site. They seem to have everything on there besides the scupper flaps, but I am going with a single drain.

I have a few questions if you could help me out.

Did you install the t-hinge yet? If so do they fit into the mold of the original hinge?

It would be a huge help if you could list the size of the thru hulls that you used?

. I got into destruction mode and did not save any thru hulls or sleeves and have no idea what size to use.

Also for the main bilge drain. What did you use for That? Does the gemlux drain plug go over the thru hull flange? They seem larger and stick out compared to the original brass sleeves.

I would love to order all this while I'm at work for the next few weeks. (Offshore tug engineer)

Thank you in advance for the help.
                Fort Lauderdale, FL[br]1990 231 Mako[br]1998 Keywest 1720[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48918[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57912[br][/url]

Comment

Glad you found what you were looking for. Gemlux is top notch quality. The T-hinges line up for the most part. The original hinge has three holes on the T and two holes on the long part. The new hinges have three and three. But the work beautifully. I will work on getting the thru hull sizes. I know the starboard drain was 1" and port was 1 1/8" I will get the others for you. As for the main bilge drain, I cut out the old brass sleeve with a hacksaw blade and installed a garboard drain. I attached a picture.

1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Thank you for the pic and the info.

So when you cut out the sleeve and put the drain cap on do you now have a raw opening on the bilge side of the drain?

Look into mate series rod holders for cup holder solution. They sell an off brand on eBay that I am going to try 1st before putting 115$ per cup holder.

Comment

Thanks for the info, i need to order some latches as well and was looking some more hardware too now. Thanks!
                      1991 221 w/ 225 yamaha[br]Margate NJ[br]221 Fuel tank/rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58899

Comment

y'all are very welcome, I'm glad I could help. Like I said, if you don't see something on their website catalog, just give them a call and they more than likely will have it.

Make, yes as best I could tell, it was just raw and open on the bilge side. Not ideal but it is what it is. I globe a pile of 5200 around it. I will definitely look into those rod holder/cup holders. I am going to have to use regular ones on the dash so I don't have to fill screw holes.

An update, I did get a chance to drop her in the water yesterday to make sure nothing leaked and all was well. She was dry as a bone. I used 5200 for everything below the waterline and Life Seal for everything above.
                        1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

If you have receipt from order do you have their item # on the rear S/S oval scupper covers? To save and make ordering easy, THANKS

Comment

If yall look on thehulltruth (shame on me I know its a sin) but there is a guy that sells the mate rod holders for $80 each shipped. They are top notch quality and the guy is very quick to ship them out. I installed 4 in the forward seating part of my 231 and plan on putting a bunch in my 261
                            1989 Mako 261[br]SOLD - 1987 231 restore/rebuild http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46836&whichpage=1[br]

Comment

Gulf, it's part number 845. Just tell them 845 Scuppers
                              quote:

Originally posted by gulfcoast75

If you have receipt from order do you have their item # on the rear S/S oval scupper covers? To save and make ordering easy, THANKS

1995 231 Tuppens

Comment

Working...
                              X