Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Mako 20

So I recently purchased a Mako 20. []

Boat was perfect as is... just needed rigging, but of course being how I am, why not MOD it.

Project started roughly two weeks ago and I will take any and all advice anyone can dish out. As of now I will have the following done:

1- Close transom

2- New Gas tank (debating between plastic and aluminum)

3- New livewell and storage in back.

4- New console

5- Poweder coat t-top and re-mount

6- Gelcoat interior

7- Finish with seadek

8- new electrical (of course).

9- Dual engine aluminum bracket

I will try to keep up with the process with weekly updates.

Makos by Rodolfo Martin, on Flickr

Rudy M

OK. This is where I am currently with the boat.

We removed the console from where it was (no rigging) and started cutting away.

First thing to go was the splash guard. Stringers were good as far as we could see. We did the math and figured out what we were going to need to enclosed the transom.

Then we cut out the housing (or box) that held the gas tank. I decided to use a plastic gas tank. Cost $400 with shipping and it holds 60+ gallons. That should be enough for a 150 Yamaha.

We opened up the box where the original gas tank was and removed all the foam exposing the stringers and hull. Stringers were in good condition. We cleaned up as much we could, threw a couple of layers of gel coat and prepped the area for the new tank which will be 60x24x11.

As of now we are waiting on the tank to arrive. I plan to close the floor up once the new tank is installed. Its comfortable to have a hatch... but anyhow you have to remove the entire console to get to it... so I don't plan to ever opening that up again.

Rudy M

Comment

OK. This is where I am currently with the boat.

We removed the console from where it was (no rigging) and started cutting away.

First thing to go was the splash guard. Stringers were good as far as we could see. We did the math and figured out what we were going to need to enclosed the transom.

Then we cut out the housing (or box) that held the gas tank. I decided to use a plastic gas tank. Cost $400 with shipping and it holds 60+ gallons. That should be enough for a 150 Yamaha.

We opened up the box where the original gas tank was and removed all the foam exposing the stringers and hull. Stringers were in good condition. We cleaned up as much we could, threw a couple of layers of gel coat and prepped the area for the new tank which will be 60x24x11.

As of now we are waiting on the tank to arrive. I plan to close the floor up once the new tank is installed. Its comfortable to have a hatch... but anyhow you have to remove the entire console to get to it... so I don't plan to ever opening that up again.

Rudy M

Comment

great job just finished my 73 I'm new too site but have bin looking for years i enclosed transom added fuel tank hydraulic steering etc im trying to learn about posting pictures

Comment

Hi Mako238WA. I am in the process of restoring my '73 Mako 20' and in desperate need of finding a transom bilge access hatch cover. Your project looks great - any chance that you might still have your hatch cover leftover after closing in the transom? If so, please get in touch!

Thank you!

Mike

Comment

Just brought home a 74/20

I have the bilge hatch lid you need. You can have it. Tried to email you but it says I haven't posted enough to be able to email members.

Comment

Hi Mako238WA

Hope your still working on your 20, would love to see some current pics.

Mine is still "In Production"

Good luck with yours.
              1982 17\' Mitchell gone[br]1985 Mako 21 had 7 years[br]1951 15\' Critchfield first rebuild 1986 with a 35hp tiller gone [br]1992 17 Maverick rebuilt in 2000 still have[br]1973 Mako 20 currently rebuilding[br]South Florida, Don[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?Topic_ID=37475[br]

Comment

Working...
              X