Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Mako 254 - Face Lift Before and After

Hi all..

Multiple 25 Mako owner here. I have looked at this forum for many years. The information found here is absolutely priceless and I am happy to share mine as well. Thank all of you who have contributed over the years. Further, thank you to those providing a free platform for the classic Mako owners to gather and discuss topics.

This is my most recent 1985 Mako 254.. A one owner boat when I took ownership. My humble opinion, the 254 is the best 25 Mako ever built for overall stability and ride. We did everything outdoors over a 7 month period. Although many things were modernized, we kept many classic Mako features as well.

Ask away.. I will tell you how we did anything you like. I will post before and after below. You'll see the first image, a WAY before, then before.. Then WAY after further id="size3">downid="Arial">

Finally, done with Part One - Launch time.

Installed the following upgrades: Rewired entire boat, installed blue-seas switch rocker boards, restored and powder coated original windshield rail, installed tinted glass, cut out stock live well tub and made into bilge access, added drain valves with seacocks to aft fish boxes, Black Starboard to replace teak, 50 Gallon menhaden multi-port level/flow livewell with 2 pumps, New Leaning post, Garmin 840, 2005 Yamaha HPDI 150 outboards, fuel management, nonskid deck. id="size4">

Now, we take it even further. Add custom sky blue paint job, blu-glo paint on gunnel caps to the tape line with nonskid, Painted decks ice blue with nonskid. Added Yamaha 150 four strokes for longevity of use and reliability.id="size4">

Old 254

Looking good!

Did you roll/tip the hull sides?
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Nice job!
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Nice job!
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Nice job!

Thank you Sailor. We tried to leave lots of original Mako accessories attached. Love a 254!
          Old 254

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sailor

Nice job!

Thank you Sailor. We tried to leave lots of original Mako accessories attached. Love a 254!
            Old 254

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Looking good!

Appreciate it Justin! Yes, it's rubber foam rolled, but not tipped. Amazing results with the proper roller skins. Used one part epoxy, no thinning.
              Old 254

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Justin

Looking good!

Appreciate it Justin! Yes, it's rubber foam rolled, but not tipped. Amazing results with the proper roller skins. Used one part epoxy, no thinning.
                Old 254

Comment

Great Job!

That's one of the best looking brushed paint jobs I have ever seen.

Comment

Nice Job! Has does it perform with the 150 4-strokes?
                    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

\'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
                      \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Headcase

Great Job!

That's one of the best looking brushed paint jobs I have ever seen.

Thank you very much Headcase. It's not flawless by any means, but we're pleased with it.id="size2">
                        Old 254

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

Thank you, Chuck.. It performs incredibly well. I had low hour 150 HPDI's on it for years and to my amazement, the four stroke 150's have a higher cruise speed and top end speed. I'm impressed with the 4-stroke power of these particular size engines.

I should note that I don't run engines hard and don't beat up my boats. I like them both to last a loooong time. I have a Yamaha 250 four stroke with over 3000 hours on another boat with no major mechanical issues, ever.

Here's the Yamaha 150 4-Stoke Specs on the Mako 254.

With 60-80 gallons of fuel on board and 2 people specs below.

Cruise - 4400 RPM @ 34-35 MPH (around 2.5 or better MPG)

High Cruise - 4800 RPM @ 39-40 MPH (2.1 MPG)

Ran only once @ WOT to check top RPM - 5900 RPM @ 45-48 MPH

Props - Mercury Quicksilver Mirage Plus 17 pitch. No prop chatter with Flotorque 4 hubs inserted.

Engines Mounted in second holeid="size2">
                          Old 254

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ChuckB

Thank you, Chuck.. It performs incredibly well. I had low hour 150 HPDI's on it for years and to my amazement, the four stroke 150's have a higher cruise speed and top end speed. I'm impressed with the 4-stroke power of these particular size engines.

I should note that I don't run engines hard and don't beat up my boats. I like them both to last a loooong time. I have a Yamaha 250 four stroke with over 3000 hours on another boat with no major mechanical issues, ever.

Here's the Yamaha 150 4-Stoke Specs on the Mako 254.

With 60-80 gallons of fuel on board and 2 people specs below.

Cruise - 4400 RPM @ 34-35 MPH (around 2.5 or better MPG)

High Cruise - 4800 RPM @ 39-40 MPH (2.1 MPG)

Ran only once @ WOT to check top RPM - 5900 RPM @ 45-48 MPH

Props - Mercury Quicksilver Mirage Plus 17 pitch. No prop chatter with Flotorque 4 hubs inserted.

Engines Mounted in second holeid="size2">
                            Old 254

Comment

Which MFG's paint did you use to paint the exterior hull? Looks great!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X