1988 Mako 230 Walk Around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Mako 230 Walk Around

Hello all I wanted to introduce our new addition. Feels terrific to be back on the water again! I have had many boats over the years and many old cars and trucks. I have been looking for an older Mako or BW to mess around with and found this boat on craigslist down in Miami so we took a ride. 2nd owner bought the boat back in 2003 and re powered it with a new 2004 Yamaha 250 that it has on it now. He used the boat with his wife and kids going to the local sandbar and racked up 295 hours on the new gauge. He confessed he had been using the boat less and less over the last few years and was trying the sell the property where he was keeping it and it needed to go. Dead batteries and a story that it was working fine last time he took it out I liked the boat and the guy and the story so I was gonna make an offer. He was asking $6995 and I offered him $4000. He said pass and we left back for ft Lauderdale and as we were pulling in the driveway he called and asked if we would split the difference I told him if I were willing to pay more I would have offered him more while I was there so he said ok come pick it up for $4k. Of course first thing that goes through my mind if the motor is bad and I have to reposer it like he did I think this boat has plenty of life left in her so with the nice alum rocket trailer I figure it must be worth $4k without the motor? I kept my word and went back down the next morning, aired up the flat trailer tires and dragged it home. Surprised it towed so easily with my 2016 Silverado like it wasn't even back there so ok so far so good. First I replaced both batteries, starter rebuilt, new starter key with drained the gas new fuel water separator and a new set of Yamaha gauges and she starts right up and runs perfect! After a few rides we love the boat. We meaning my wife Eve and our 2 chocolate labs Ziggy and Mango. We are so happy with the boat we have decided to repaint and refresh and enjoy her for a few years. We just started the prepping and picked up some supplies to get started. I am going to try to figure out how to post up a few pics I have taken so far.[img]IMG_7513.jpg[/img]
    1988 230 Walkaround[br]2004 Yamaha 250

don't see the pic coming up so I will do some reading and try again

[img]/Users/stevezimmerman/Desktop/IMG_7513.jpg[/img]

Comment

Welcome back. Congrats on the boat. Nice price tag also. For pictures use IMGUR. It works fine
      [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by snappergapper

Welcome back. Congrats on the boat. Nice price tag also. For pictures use IMGUR. It works fine

thank you. I pulled the coffin cover today and no fuel smelling everything seems dry but tough to tell.

Comment

since the last post we decided to strip her down and repaint the whole boat.

finished the bottom from the rub rail down working on the console now. I removed the windshield and windows and also the bomar hatch and the 2 slider windows. we stripped them down sanded and repainted them now we are scuffing and adding a few more coats for durability. we removed the rubber rub rail to paint and yesterday when we went to put it back on the holes did not line up and it shrank about a foot or so! didn't make it all the way around the boat so now we have to remove it again and hopefully on a hot day we will be able to stretch it as we re-install it this time! I wish I could figure out how to post up pics I took a lot of them along the way.

Comment

Working...
          X