Mako 25 average cost for prep and painting of hull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 25 average cost for prep and painting of hull

Hi folks, just trying to get a gauge of potential cost. I know it could be a wide range but what Im looking to do is strip boat and bring hull and console to a painter and have it redone. Assume allot of screw holes to fill and some chips and cracks to fill and putting non skid on decks and gunwales. Assume a good grade of imron or equivalent.

Thanks for any input!

I painted my own 25 Last year. I ended up rolling and tipping because I couldnt get it into our shops garage and Spraying outside sucked. The roll and tip looks great and everyone thinks I sprayed it.

I worked in a body shop for years and I had countless hours/Days into my prep and filler work. When I last worked in a body shop the labor rates were mandated at $44/hour. Even if you assume a week of prep youre looking at $1600 in just prep than probably double it for paint and materials. I bed itd be close to a 4-6K job to have the paint professionally done.
    Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

$750 in materials if you do it yourself. $5k if you have it done. Muzzy is right, it's all in the prep. I did mine and I had never used a spray gun before and I get comments all the time, but clearly it's not yacht quality.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

ok, maybe I should clarify, I dont want it painted and tipped. Prepped, primed with high build primer, sanded and painted with either a high-grade Imron or Marine based Awlgrip type paint. The sprayed boats will always come out better. I know there are the die-hard roller guys here, but my mind is made up on having it sprayed. I have been getting a quote at about $8k to do the whole thing so just seeing if that is reasonable, high or low. There are allot of guys on here who have done restorations so I figure I come to the source. I called Babylon boatworks in Long Island but they said 15 to 20 k (ouch) but they said the boat will be like showroom new. Im not looking for showroom restoration. Just clean the thing up and a repaint to make it look fresh again.

Comment

sounds like the number is between 8K-20K then to pay someone to do it. We used to charge 8K to paint large SUVs. If you want showroom quality on your 30+year old boat itll cost closer to 20. 8-10 doesnt sound far off. Epoxy primers are expensive some are 400$ a gallon its been 5+ years since I worked in a shop.

Plus there is their markup. and you need a shop that can fit the boat in it. Ask a school district who paints their busses maybe.
          Marc Muzzy[br]S.W. Florida [br]Anna Maria Island[br]\'81 25 \'09 suzuki 250[br]

Comment

Take her to the VOC and let the students spray her for the cost of paint. [:I]
            ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Most quotes I have been getting are around $200/ft interior and $125/ft exterior.
              \'07 Mako 19 bay, sold[br]\'76 Mako 21, sold[br]\'77 Mako 21, dump[br]\'77 Mako 22, sold[br]\'80 Mako 23 WA, sold[br]\'82 Mako 21, sold[br]\'85 Mako 254 currently[br]\'78 J24 USA 292 (sold)[br]\'05 Melges 32 racing sailboat

Comment

Working...
              X