Another Whaler Project, 15' - Done and Launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Whaler Project, 15' - Done and Launched

Every once in a while I find some down time and start playing with the CraigsList App on my phone which usually ends with a new project. Last week I was doing just that and came across a 15' Whaler that was a steal of a price. I contacted the seller ASAP and sent a PayPal deposit within 5 minutes of hanging up the phone so he'd remove the listing and then drove the 6 hours up and back to retrieve and I'm quite pleased. I've had 3 slip away from me because I was not cash in hand ready to drive right up, so I learned....

Anyway, here's the boat, 15' SuperSport with a 60hp Evinrude. My first thought was to repower, but after looking at prices and weights, the Evinrude is looking mighty fine.

The boat spent it's life on NH lakes and the first owner was a builder working on a large lake and this was his primary mode of transportation to all the islands and lakeside properties he built. The second owner wanted to upgrade since he had 3 kids and was originally from my area.

Current motor 250#

Yamaha 70 4 stroke 250# and almost $8K

Etec 75 is 320# and used about $4500

Suzuki 70 is 350# and really starts tugging the transom lower

Mercury 70 weighs in at 400# which is ridiculous

So the idea is to customize a bit and freshen it up. Boat is solid and I already have the master plan drawn up:

- New mahogany interior, modified on the SuperSport design

- Motor gets new paint and decals so it looks brand new

- Motor gets 70hp carbs, Boyseen reeds, head milled and stainless prop

- Trailer new rollers, swap guide ons from my other trailer, LED lights, tongue jack and misc.

- Wiring is scrapped and new Blue Seas terminal block, batt switch, and switch panel

- New 15 gal tank, low profile under the seat - already ordered

- Lights converted to LED

- New rubrail

- Interior LED lights

- Stereo, GPS plotter and tach

- Mahogany interior will sport a blend of mahogany and holley on certain pieces to stand out

- Boat gets a full compound and wax

I'm hoping to store the boat in a friends private airplane hanger so I have access through the winter to work on the boat.

Pics

The only marks to the bottom are from a failed trailer roller and there is minor scratches in the gelcoat.

D-
    Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Looks good, have fun.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

All the best deals on craigslist are there for a few hours at most. If you blink you miss them.

Great looking boat. Enjoy!

Comment

Already ordered a number of things, but was careful not to order from FL due to Irma. Headed to NH tomorrow to remove boat from trailer and install new bunk pads and other trailer goodies. Boat interior get removed to make measurements for mods before buying new mahogany.

D-
        Current Mqko - 1990 Mako 211 w/2006 250 E-TEC. http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6226. [br]- Previous Makos 1987 20C, 1979 23\' IB, 1970s 17 Angler

Comment

that 60 is a perfect engine for that boat. Reliable as the day is long and parts everywhere. You will love that little boat...BTW is that your Brother standing in that boat?? No way it could be your son...my how time flys...

d
          [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by michigan dave

that 60 is a perfect engine for that boat. Reliable as the day is long and parts everywhere. You will love that little boat...BTW is that your Brother standing in that boat?? No way it could be your son...my how time flys...

d

Hi Dave,

Yep, that Connor. My how time flies. Here was the last Whaler project from 9 years ago - day 1 launch after project.

I couldn't believe it has been 9 years since finishing that Whaler....

D-

Comment

Gutted the Whaler, removed and trashed rubrail and removed from trailer and ordered new rollers, fenders, made new bunks and other misc stuff so the trailer is solid again.

Saving the rail to reinstall after new interior is made.

Rubrail removed, drilling the alum rivets is a PITA, but they hold better than screws.

Removed from trailer so I can get trailer work done. New tank in the boat so I could mock up interior mods to fit a 15 gal underseat tanks.

Interior removed and ready to be duplicated from new mahogany. Seats will be solid 5/4" single plank milled from one solid 12' wide mahogany board. The rest of the interior will be modified so the console sits 3 taller to make room for a flush mount plotter and the rear seat 1" taller to make room for an underseat tank. The rear compartment will only be 1/2 depth due to tank.

Here are pics of what it would like new (before my mods).

Doing some thinking and may swap out the Evinrude for a 2-stroke Yami since I can get rid of the oil injection tank since the Yami oil reservoir is under the cowl.

D-

Comment

Dave I had a 82' 15 whaler for 25 years. First engine was a 82 Johnson 60 2cly. Blew it up. I then got a 81 evinrude 50 2cly that lasted a few years. Bother these engines were sub 200#'s. I had a 60 Johnson 3cly for a little while it was heavier than the 2cly models. I traded the 60 for a 1995 Merc 75 3cly it was way to heavy and ruined the ride of the boat. I think it was around 320#. I was also older and heavier by then too

The older lighter 2cly 50/60 hp were the best I ever had on it.
                [br]Burlington , MA[br]Previous Boats[br]25\' Mako CC 225 Yamaha (sold)[br]30\' Grady Marlin T/250 Yamaha\'s (sunk) [br]Current boats [br]10\' Zodiac 8hp Yamaha[br]15\' Whaler 75hp Merc[br]24\' Wahoo! EFS 250hp Merc[br]

Comment

My buddy as the same boat with the exact same motor and it seems to run very well with that motor. Previously had a 70 which ran well too. Nice project and should have figured a nice looking rig would be Mackeyized.
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by TIDE RUNNER

Dave I had a 82' 15 whaler for 25 years. First engine was a 82 Johnson 60 2cly. Blew it up. I then got a 81 evinrude 50 2cly that lasted a few years. Bother these engines were sub 200#'s. I had a 60 Johnson 3cly for a little while it was heavier than the 2cly models. I traded the 60 for a 1995 Merc 75 3cly it was way to heavy and ruined the ride of the boat. I think it was around 320#. I was also older and heavier by then too

The older lighter 2cly 50/60 hp were the best I ever had on it.

Hi Russ,

As a kid I was running a 50 Johnson on a 13' and it was like a kite. The 15' is a great performing boat and has one of the best rides of any 15' and capable of speed that most cannot achieve.

The 15' with a 70hp propped right and with the motor at the right height will run 50mph or a touch over that. My friend had one as a kid and we ran the heck out of that boat and it was night and day better than a 13' Whaler.[]

Playing with trim and throttle it would do wheelies.

I listed the 60hp today and have someone coming to look at it and already located a freshwater 70 Yami in NH and going to look at that soon.

Hoping to buy the wood for the interior this weekend as well. Things are falling into place and this will be a great winter project.

D-

Comment

I have a 15 whaler that I rebuilt like 7 or 8 years ago and it has a johnso 70hp. I rebuilt the whole boat, everything is new but the engine, still looking almost like new, I upgraded the fuel tank from the original 12 gal fuel to a 15 gal fuel tank.

Alwgrip

New oem rub rail

All new mahogany super sport interior

All new ss hardware

Wiring

Light

Panel

Cushions

Gauges

All new enige gaskets and seal

I mean everything, I spent a bit over $4

If you have any question let me knwo but I doubt it as you are great at this, I remember when you rebuilt the 13.

Good luck with this one.
                      [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Comment

Btw, I have the molded storage compartment, but it's designed to fit a 12 gal fuel tank, I had to modify mine to be able to fit the 15 gal fuel tank.

I have that exact kit, got everything specialty marine had available for the 15 whaler, they gave me a great package deal as I wanted everything, a few months later i ordered the Bimini top from then too. I even got the cushion for the bow.
                        [br]JR[br]1983 Mako 224 with twin 115 Mariners under the knife.[br]1982 Boston Whaler 15 super sport with 70 Johnson

Comment

I'm having fun getting ideas for this little boat. Explored more power options today.[8D] Suddenly 70hp seems inadequate.[]

Trailer parts came in. On the keel rollers, I ordered the shaft separate and that 304 stainless. The galv shafts tend to rust inside the roller and then the scaled rust expands seizing the shaft.

Made new bunk from 2X4 PT wrapped with bunk carpet and slick pads.

The first of 3 shipments of stainless hardware to refill my bins. I can't stand chasing stuff at the hardare store or West Marine, besides it's 10X more expensive there.

Headed tomorrow to look at a Yami 70, hoping that works out.

D-

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by wellcraft

Btw, I have the molded storage compartment, but it's designed to fit a 12 gal fuel tank, I had to modify mine to be able to fit the 15 gal fuel tank.

I have that exact kit, got everything specialty marine had available for the 15 whaler, they gave me a great package deal as I wanted everything, a few months later i ordered the Bimini top from then too. I even got the cushion for the bow.

The interior from Specialty Marine runs about $1,100 and the bow locked is sold separately for another $150, which I can build for a fraction of that. I'm also making mods to the console raising it 3" and the rear seat 2" in addition to extending the rear compartment 2". Since the tank is under the seat, it will still give me enough storage and not eat up space in the rear of the boat. All wiring and gas fill will be hidden. I also really like the look of teak and holly, but that's not practical, so I'm thinking about laminating up mahogany and maple to achieve the same look and that wood is not oily, so it'll accept 3 coats of West Epoxy with 207 hardener and then 3 - 4 coats of sprayed varnish, possibly topped with 2 coats of urethane clear. Still working out the details.

D-

Comment

How many dancing disco LED lights are you putting in? [8D][][]
                              1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                              1985 Mako 20c - sold
                              Fort Walton Beach, FL
                              http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Working...
                              X