No announcement yet.

95 232 dash refresh etc.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 95 232 dash refresh etc.

    Well it took a while longer than what I had projected and cost more than I had thought but I finally got the boat back in the water with almost everything I had wanted to do to it since last having it out of the water about two years ago. I had grown very tired of the dash layout/instruments/switches so I wanted to bring the boat into the 2000's at least instead of the 80's design I felt it had. There was also plenty of mechanical maintenance and repairs, and not to mention I rewired all of the accessories. Oh and finally, a new SEI Marine lower unit to replace the one that had a quart of water instead of gear oil. So it's still not finished and there are some details to do but I ran out of time...... and my wife ran out of patience.

    Anyhow, here are some pictures. The first is of the original state of the boat when I got it back in late 2019 and then how it is now. After are some shots of the wiring, of which I won't be winning any awards but I am fairly proud of myself as this was my first time ever re-wiring a boat. I'd like to thank Shakes26 for giving me the knowledge on how the Mercury VesselView system works. I could not have done it without his help. I owe him a fishing trip real soon. Also would love to thank my neighbor for helping me out with making the dash and the large glove box in the dash. The smaller glove box lower down was made by Boat Outfitters. Much nicer than what we made of course but much pricier, too. Also a big thanks to the friend who let me borrow his trailer for three and a half months. Impossible to get this done without his help. Anyhow, pictures.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200216_163743.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	560304

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_174630.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	560303 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_174642.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	560300 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_174916.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	560301 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_174841.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	560302
    95 232 w/225 Opti Hollywood, FL

  • #2
    A couple more of the wiring since you can only attach 5 pics.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_174828.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.32 MB ID:	560310
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_174905.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.45 MB ID:	560306
    95 232 w/225 Opti Hollywood, FL


    • #3
      in the future when you wire down and into a component or buss bar/fuseblock try to make a pigtail loop, think of it like a circular on ramp to the highway. It will allow any water that comes down to drip off the cable vs follow it into the panel/connection.


      • #4
        Also regarding the NMEA backbone, Actisense makes a backbone thats basically a block shape and includes terminating resistors built in. Much more compact, you did alright there, one or two more connected pieces its going to get messy/hard to locate.


        • #5
          Shakes, thanks for the tips. With the modifications I have in mind, there will be a future re-wire so I will incorporate them into the next wiring job.

          And yes the NMEA is out of room horizontally unless I reposition the charger and I just got lazy at that point and didn't want any more holes in the already holy panel. I will look into the block you mentioned.

          Thanks again for all your help!
          95 232 w/225 Opti Hollywood, FL


          • #6
            I hope mine is that clean one day. Lots of effort to get to look that clean. Thanks for sharing the ideas.