2T's 17 Standard Rebuid Rigging and nonskid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2T's 17 Standard Rebuid Rigging and nonskid

It's been almost a year since I finished a '13 Whaler project and I was ready for a new project so after some searching and reading many project threads here I pulled the trigger. Spent the last couple of days after work and most of today getting her torn down. Deck, tank and foam gone. Stringers are next. To my surprise the transom is solid and dry. Is there a suitable way to raise the existing transom?

Dave

Anyone have any insight or info on raising the existing transom to 25"?

Comment

usually when the transoms are raised its during a complete transom rebuild. Then you get the structural integrity of a complete job. It can be added on to now but I dont think its as strong as a one piece unit...

dave
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Yeah I wasn't sure if there was a method or new material that would allow the existing to be raised. I hate to rip out and go through the work of replacing a good solid transom but I just may. I tend to over do rather than under.

Comment

I was able to get it pretty much cleaned out and expose the broken stringers which thanks to this site I looked for and weren't a surprise. The previous owner seemed surprised when I showed him a picture I took with my phone down in the bilge but I used it as a negotiating tool. Thanks CM?

Seen this a lot here.

Comment

I found this hole repair from the outside (smh) and new it would need attention. I plan on removing the stringer and the grinding it out from the inside, laying matt and then a few layers of 1808 in epoxy to bring it up before the new stringer goes in. I plan on flipping the boat and taking care of the bottom before the deck goes in. My question is should I clean up the bottom of the patch now before I lay glass on the inside?

UGLY!

Comment

Hit the inside and outside with the grinder and removed the crappy repair and stringer. The roving is all delaminating and will have to come out. I'd like to try and clean it up and rebuild it a side at a time.

Comment

Please chime in with any pointers or advise. This is much farther than I had to go with my Whaler restoration.

Comment

Those stringers are impressively bad.
                  Texas[br]\'76 Mako 23- A work in progress[br]

Comment

The Whaler turned out beautiful.
                    Todd from Michigan[br]1995 Mako 232. No power yet.[br]1995 Mako 191. ETEC G2 175.[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52599[br]A father tells his son, \"Son, jacking off will make you go blind....\"[br]The son replies, \"Dad, I\'m over here\"[br][/URL][br]

Comment

Thanks Todd

Dave

Comment

Thanks Todd

Dave

Comment

great job on the Whaler! the only advice I could offer is to remove all the bad glass and start re-building. I would think you would want the stringers done before you flip it over. Not sure about the bottom patch. I'd be inclined to remove it all now, so that when you flip it over you aren't grinding out part of your new repair, but you are above my pay grade.
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog[br]1985 Mako 20c - sold[br]Mary Esther, FL[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42841[br]

Comment

Take a look at page two half way down. Had the same exact issues in the same location. You can do the bottom side once you flip it. Build the inside with 3-4 layers so you can dish to outside and get close to fair when you ad a layer on the outside. Happy to answer any questions. Jim

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic...258824#p258824

Comment

Great thread Jim. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X