85 224 Repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 224 Repower

Starting to restore a new to me 85 224 Got the fuel tank out and working on that project
    but have been planing the repower. I went to Yamahas web site and seen they had a 35 inch shaft 250 HP
    So the idea is to raise the transom 10 inches and use the 35 inch motor. See any problems
    Thanks

Several things...
    Its going to stick up or out like a Sore Thumb. 1st.
    2nd. the mounting holes are going to be above, probably way above original transom. As lots of makos are low cut at 20"
    So... with that being said... there is a pretty large LEVERAGE factor. so pushing way up high, attached way down low..
    What I'm getting around to is your transom better be in tip top shape at minimum. or its going to twist your transom out so fast your head won't have time to look back quick enough.
    WHY would you even think about a 35" thats pontoon and really big or deep hull applications.
    They do make normal stuff to fit your boat.
    No scabbing or half rigging to make it fit.

Comment

I sounded negative and shallow I know.
      Most mako owners seem to stay pretty close to the original, there is a lot of custom modifications, even I am doing a complete makeover,.. monster.
      I have said this a dozen times.. you now have a part of history.
      Mako made great boats, I'm a fan of the old originals, the dino's. ---aurs.
      The 10" just caught me off guard, and trying to imagine it... it just seemed odd,. an odd idea to clean it up.
      Maybe you will end up with something spectacular.
      250 twisting up high with roots down low, I would give that some serious thunking...
      But I'm planning to hang twin 150's on a 19,.. but I BUILT a hellova transom for it too..
      I raised my transom from 20" to 24"
      keep in touch and post pics.
      good luck.
      Oh and welcome to classic mako. and congrats.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was funny. I want to do it right, this is my retirement boat. I will probably copy one of the ideas from this site. Just not sure of which one
        i don’t want to worry about water coming over the back of the transom or doing it wrong and having wet feet. I just thought the 35 would let me raise the transom 10 inches and stop the water. I looked a little closer at weights and the 35 is 635 lbs with Digital Electric Steering. NADA said the 235 originally motor was 400 lbs not sure if that right. I am looking to this community to guide me on this rebuild. I wouldn’t have even know about these boats if not for this site and THT
        I like the idea of closing the transom and doing the bracket, just don’t want to end up with handling problems. I need to learn how to post pictures
        Thanks

Comment

Have a bracket built with flotation, go with one of the new Mercury 225 or 250 four strokes (they are ~500lbs) and make a starboard splash guard for the transom. Few people here have taken a similar approach and it seems to work well…just be sure to have as much flotation built into your bracket as possible.

Comment

Sometimes it takes a while to get replies.
            There are some good helpful builders/owners on here.
            You should find plenty of different ideas to consider, there are some really good builds on here.
            I kinda morphed my own after much reading. I don't do anything normal or bare code minimum. being my 1st. build I'm building a Tank.
            check out my transom raise. I'm using 25" motors.(now)
            I have never put my hull in the water, but when I do it will be for a float test and balancing placement of twin fuel tanks and final place for console, if I move IT.
            I removed about 500-800 pounds of wet foam. It All was wet. so that should float higher than water lines now. but twins will sink it back.
            My boat is same age as me, made in 1969.
            Good luck, keep posting.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Can’t figure out why some have great luck with a bracket and others not so much

Comment

Finally settled on my motor set up, I went with a Yamaha 250 with a vertical extension bracket of 5 inches. I will starboard the the transom up 5 inches and close in the sides the best possible and if it all works out good maybe glass the transom and remove the starboard. I wonder how heavy a glass job would be compared to starboard
                I have three trolling motor batteries in the front floor box and was thinking of moving my two motor batteries up there as well to help with weight offset what do think

Comment

What trolling motor do you have up front?
                  [br]1984 Mako 224[br]1977 Mako 15[br]Clermont, Florida- [br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37212 -Rewire[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40627 -Tank/Misc[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58615 - Aft Box removal

Comment

Working...
                  X