76 Mako 19 Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 Mako 19 Fuel Tank

Hi fellow Mako lovers. I have recently started working to put my 76 Mako 19 back on the water. Got it on the water a couple times recently, but unfortunately found the fuel tank had developed a leak. Decided nothing to do but tear into it. Found it still had the original tank with the AAA Fabricators label still on it. Built in 10/75 of .090 Al holding 32g. Now the big problem, trying to find a new tank that doesn't break the bank. Sunshine wants $650+shipping, local metal shop $800. Got a couple others working quotes. Question, has anyone found a poly tank that fits the 19? Also any other thoughts on tank builders in VA or NC?

I have run into the same pricing experience here in the NE. The only.cment I have is make sure your new one is exterior coated and has the mounting tabs on it. Plastic is an issue if you want to add foam back because of the expansion

Comment

• Lews76Mako
      Lews76Mako commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks I can't even find a poly one that will work unless I want to go like half the original size due to the back of the tank is not under the console. All the poly ones I have seen have hookups on the far ends. Going to have someone else quote it in the AM.

If you decide to replace the tank with a new aluminum tank....check out these guys.
    https://speedytanks.com/

They provided me a high quality replacement tank at a reasonable price..... also the customer service was exceptional.

Eric
    A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

• Lews76Mako
      Lews76Mako commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for that. I have been following your thread closely as I have basically the same boat. Great work! I submitted a quote request to them. Based on what you had them make for your 19, think it will be more or less than $600? Aluminum is high right now. Sunshine quoted $650 + shipping. I have a local welder who quoted $635 yesterday. Thinking I am going to go with it. See no other option for a 19....the Moeller tanks just won't work due to fitting locations.

I have recently been thinking about my '72 22' which I am pretty sure is on the second fuel tank and that one has developed a leak. I am trying to get an estimate for replacing as well while trying to estimate the rest of my project cost and time line, knowing that most of the investment will be lost if I ever sell the boat.
    72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

Any one have suggestions on coal tar epoxy and foam brands that won't break the bank?

Comment

Lews76Mako commented
        Yesterday, 06:51 PM
        Thank you for that. I have been following your thread closely as I have basically the same boat. Great work! I submitted a quote request to them. Based on what you had them make for your 19, think it will be more or less than $600? Aluminum is high right now. Sunshine quoted $650 + shipping. I have a local welder who quoted $635 yesterday. Thinking I am going to go with it. See no other option for a 19....the Moeller tanks just won't work due to fitting locations.

Lews76Mako...

Back when my aluminum tank was fabricated the average cost ranged from $10 to $12 a gallon. That being said, in todays market I could easily see the average cost being around $20 a gallon plus or minus. Heck, the plastic Moeller tanks are around $14 to $16 a gallon right now and you will have the added cost of changing some things (hold downs, hoses, etc) to make them fit.

If you have a local guy the savings on shipping is a plus! Also ask about if the tank comes barrier coated??? Some tank fabricators do this and some do not. My tank came with an epoxy based barrier coating and a basic fuel sending unit.

Hope this info is helpful...Eric
        A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

• Lews76Mako
          Lews76Mako commented
          Editing a comment
          It is helpful, thanks. I spoke to Mid Atlantic about a tank today. Is $620 for thr tank now, plus $149 for shipping. My local guy is building for $635, so going to stick with that for now I guess. He builds a lot of aluminum race fuel cells and I know is a good ar what he does. Looking for a coating to apply myself and he doesn't do it.
          Last edited by Lews76Mako; 09-15-2021, 02:16 PM.

Speedy tanks quoted me $1775 for a 110 gallon tank. That may be slightly less than your local builder. They are only a couple hours from my house so I would probably pick it up and save on shipping. I am not ready to move forward with that work yet so I am kind of hoping prices on aluminum go down before I have to buy the tank. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lews76Mako View Post
          Any one have suggestions on coal tar epoxy and foam brands that won't break the bank?
          Check Sherwin-Williams for the coal tar coating....I think Rust-Oleum make a comparable coating as well.

U.S. Composites has a selection of liquid Urethane expanding pour foam.

Also....I would suggest replacing the fuel tank fill and vent lines while you are doing the tank replacement.

Eric

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

• Lews76Mako
            Lews76Mako commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, have my eye on line replacement too. It's for the foam, I am told from the Speedy tank folks to not foam it in. They recommend neoprene strips and brackets. All these differing opinions are killing me. I will check these products you shared out for sure.

What are you guys thoughts on foaming the tank. Speedy told me not to. Instead they say use neoprene strips and angle aluminum screwed to inside of coffin as a bracket to hold tank in place.

Comment

Okay, so removed 35lbs of water soaked foam! Think I will go ahead and pull the console completely and paint the deck while I have it this far.

Comment

Any one know if the aluminum vent line can be replaced without cutting the floor or gunwale? I can access the tank side and the gunwale side, but the foam is around the hose through the floor and gunwale. The foam is dry in this area.

Comment

Well finally starting to make some progress. Decided take the opportunity to show the ole girl some TLC while I have the tank out. Sanded the old mustard yellow floor and painted with two coats total boat total protect. The laid down two coated of total boat non skid in light beige. Have all teaks off refinishing too. I also coated the tank with three coats of total protect as well. Found the through the hull vent plugged, so i cleared that. Installed the tank today using 1/4" thick marine neoprene with pressure adhesive to bottom of tank to cushion and support. Also made some aluminum brackets to secure the tank with the same neoprene between the joints. She seems pretty solid and I don't have to worry with water sitting against the tank even if it were to find its way in. Had filler relocated to provide straight fill into the tank, old one had a 90 on the tank, short hose and another 90 into console, pain to fill. Hopefully with the cleared vent and straight fill it will not be an issue anymore. Hopefully will get the console back in tomorrow and start the rewire process.

Comment

Working...
                X