1991 241 restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 241 restore

I'm restoring a 241 that I bought new with my dad, fished for 15 years with parents , wife and two kids til had to sell due to dads health, long story short I bought it back and I'm in process of restoring. Have t top, console, leaning post and tank out and want to replace fuel fill and vent lines to gunnel , is there a way to remove them without cutting gunnel sidewall, seemed to be foamed in and can't move them. Next question is best way to check transom , I've used rubber hammer and sounds solid, really would like to enclose and add Armstrong bracket. Thanks for any help, Brian

Congrats on getting your boat back. Simply ways to check transom are rubber mallet and tilt motor up some and apply weight to the foot while looking for play. You have the boat currently in project mode, the wood core is 30 years old, and you mention wanting to enclose and bracket, so I say there is no time better than the present regardless of current transom condition. I have a 241 that had transom enclosed, leaving the original core, and bracket added, and just got back in the water after recore; transom busted along line where original wood core stopped. No boat repairs are fun, quick, cheap, or easy, but that wood will eventually need to be replaced and in the long run 1 project is cheaper than 2.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Yes, I'm removing both 200 saltwater series motors this weekend and will check transom , also going to take lowers to friend who's going to install new water pumps, change fluids and pressure test them. Gas tank looks really good except for a section on the bottom that's like 6"x12" thats pitted a little bit, a friend's son in law is a welder that said he can cut that section out and weld a new plate in . We'll see how everything goes this weekend. Thanks

Comment

I don't claim to bean expert, but since replies are few, I'll add my input.
        Now I am in middle of FULL resto on a 69 19'
        My transom was mush and gone. stringers in process now.
        "91" isn't old and it isn't new,.. it really depends on boat history.
        Considering most other boats, and I'm talking other brands too.. they most times need help at this point. (and then there are 60 yr boats in perfect shape)but few and far between.
        If you do all this work and don't do transom now (while you are doing work)and it falls off or fails in 3-10 yrs you will be sick, Especially if you do paint or gel.
        NOT TO MENTION,. an armstrong bracket almost doubles the stress on the transom. It has way more leverage hanging, dangling and worst of all Bouncing going down the road on the trailer.-- R.R. tracks, deep pot holes, Bridges,. etc
        So the transom doesn't need to be right or ok... IT HAS TO BE good to go. no questions. IMHO
        Most people core sample from inside with 1/4" bit to know for sure.
        Another question have you bothered to check the foam, is it wet.
        I'm more than glad to lend what I know but your 91 is a lot different than my 69 and I have the cap removed.

Congrats on getting the boat back.
        Last edited by Lectro88; 08-26-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

want to replace fuel fill and vent lines to gunnel , is there a way to remove them without cutting gunnel sidewall, seemed to be foamed in and can't move them. Next question is best way to check transom , I've used rubber hammer and sounds solid, really would like to enclose and add Armstrong bracket. Thanks for any help, Brian[/QUOTE]

Here again my tank was under console, So big Difference.
          But considering how hard it was to remove the cap. and how tough and strong the foam holds everything.
          Unless they gave you a sleeve from factory.
          I don't know how in the world you would get vent and main hose out of the gunnel, let alone the turn going under the deck/floor and what other whoopty-do turns getting to tank.
          Figure it enters tank fitting at a slight angle, but thats just going on how most tanks are made.

Maybe someone thats been there and done that on a 241 will chime in.
          Last edited by Lectro88; 08-26-2021, 03:20 PM.

Comment

foam seems to be dry at least what was around tank and in the tank coffin. really surprised me how easy the tank came out and there wasn't half gallon of water in the coffin . Pulled the lower units today and will lift powerheads off tomorrow and put on stands. Then checking the transom. After pricing brackets might not go that route , still debating. As far as the fuel sypply hose and the vent hose they look good , since not in the sun do they deterate or should they be okay ?

Comment

Working...
            X