• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 236 "kiwi" project

Hi all
    Its been awhile since i posted.
    I thought i'd post a bit of the journey down on the group page
    Some of you may remember a crazy Kiwi that bought an unseen 236 and exported it to New Zealand.
    The Makos been pretty good - but underused, had a few issues, but over all a head turner here in NZ - as you can imagine = they aren't very common!!
    One of the biggest problems I had with it was speed, yes I knew it was slow, and on our gentle pacific coast side its fine cruising at 15mph. The problem is that I live on the west coast - Tasman ocean and its rough, reasonably inhospitable and you need a bit of speed. I actually got quite a fright when heading back into the harbor with a 230lb marlin on, two people and full fuel tanks and I was only just keeping up with the wave I was on the back of
    a few more ponies are needed
    The original AQAD40b Volvo at a blistering 165hp (42 years ago) had to go
    Diesel marine engines are a crazy price here, and gas is just to expensive to use.
    I've had my eyes and ears open looking for a used engine and I have now found & purchased a Yanmar 6lp
    315hp is a massive difference, and the engine has a smaller footprint than the Volvo
    Last edited by karuhi; 07-24-2021, 03:09 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A3DC7291-8957-422A-8B9E-227DC98FFA7E.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	5.55 MB
ID:	552424

Comment

New beast purchased and heading four hours north to home

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	4D869C31-73CA-46AA-B27E-E7EDAA53C605.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	552429 Click image for larger version  Name:	3F322ED7-F380-4E2A-8780-65F67C4D9CC9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	552428 Click image for larger version  Name:	7AECD1BB-F9EA-4AF7-BF42-8C8550CE4AC1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	552427 Click image for larger version  Name:	CD3CE004-FCC6-4097-964C-AA04601BD76C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.16 MB ID:	552430 Here’s Friday’s mission, freeing up rusted metal and tagging spaghetti wiring. Up with the tractor and get the behemoth out
        Last edited by karuhi; 07-24-2021, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E90E9D2-2188-4543-8D25-9B55177D6F61.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.48 MB ID:	552434 Last post - foam !
          I hear a lot about it and makos, seems people have valid for and against arguments about the stuff. One thing I agree with everyone about is that it’s a mongrel to get out.
          will I put more in ? Unknown as yet - more investigation needed Click image for larger version  Name:	1CE36B57-0FCC-4BE1-AEF8-9B926849B4E2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.51 MB ID:	552432 Click image for larger version  Name:	6D6EF4C8-2DF8-401D-931E-ADE9B4A257C1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	552433

Comment

I am definitely Click image for larger version

Name:	49560F68-E906-4968-84FA-76A27C6E769C.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	3.73 MB
ID:	552442 Click image for larger version

Name:	EC2AE3A0-7293-489D-9F98-AF684C5234C2.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	552443 Click image for larger version

Name:	83C0BCB9-2CFB-41BA-84E3-02CB2F8BA577.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	552444 agreeing with everyone - feeling no love for the foam. I’d say there was 100lb of partially wet foam removed just from around the engine bay.
            mid love to know what people think - re -foam or not ?

Comment

Name:	25C3F4B6-A93A-4DF1-BD6B-D5942CF9CF42.jpeg
Size:	5.67 MB
ID:	552450 Click image for larger version

Name:	188D084F-4D76-4C1B-9CCF-BFB6450AD93C.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	5.50 MB
ID:	552449 Can someone please tell me if these look like original tanks or replacements ? Behind the Portside tank is full of water - seems trapped there - although there is no diesel floating on top.
              I really don’t feel like pulling them this year - just a look Click image for larger version

Name:	38605CBF-8A65-4AA8-929D-7EC3DCC538E8.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	552448

Comment

Apologies - devled a little further and answered my own question Click image for larger version

Name:	B9434D34-F1F9-4A4B-811A-7E8139AB624F.jpeg
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	552452

Comment

That's quite the difference. You should be happy with that for an upgrade. As far as the water goes..... can you get a shop vac in there and stick it out? Even if you had to build a "straw" of some sort to get in there.
                  '90 Tuppens 231 Polk City, FL

Comment

I was going to answer, those are original tanks, but you found that on the placard. Interestingly, not all tanks came with a zinc chromate finish (greenish yellow), and in my experience that's a lifesaver for aluminum in marine environments.

Excited to see what the new power does for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes_26 View Post
                      I was going to answer, those are original tanks, but you found that on the placard. Interestingly, not all tanks came with a zinc chromate finish (greenish yellow), and in my experience that's a lifesaver for aluminum in marine environments.

Excited to see what the new power does for you.
                      thanks for that information Shakes - I really was wondering what that finish was, what i can say is it's worked, at least for the top sides. I'll pull the tanks next year. Its a multiple year project. And yes I'm also excited to see what the power is like ............

Comment

Originally posted by Wpeavy View Post
                        That's quite the difference. You should be happy with that for an upgrade. As far as the water goes..... can you get a shop vac in there and stick it out? Even if you had to build a "straw" of some sort to get in there.
                        Thanks for the reply Wpeavy - I actually drilled a hole - and i'll flow coat it to seal it i think. I can always bung it from the tank side if i don't want it open. I thought about just sucking it out then thought "well if it got in there it will again" so i felt its better to be allowed to drain out

Comment

Struck a problem in my project - Having no marine engine fitting experience I found something I hadn't thought of until I really looked.
                          The old volvo seems to have a drop gearbox with a 4degree angle. The motor must have been at about 8 degrees - as my iphone angle finder says 12 degrees (does anyone know if this is right?)
                          The ZF - 63 box is straight. I'm going to have to see if i can change it - If there is one available ...........

Comment

maybe a universal joint, but you're going to have to respect a range there, that I'm sure is much less than 12 deg. Maybe some offset heigh blocks for the motor mounts?

something like this from aqua drive but you get the idea.

Name:	Inboard-Shaft-Arrangement-with-Aquadrive-System.png
Views:	127
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	552483
                            Last edited by Shakes_26; 07-26-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• karuhi
                              karuhi commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks again Shakes, I just googled Aquadrive and we have an agent here in NZ. I've fired them off an email so it'll be interesting to hear back. Seems it quietens engine vibration noise too. I'll happily have the engine p[itched in at say 6-8 degrees and the CV system take up the rest. Will wait and see what they say

• karuhi
                              karuhi commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Morning Shakes - hey I contacted the New Zealand agent for Aquadrive - got a price back = yikes, it's eye wateringly large, they priced two one for bigger hours than the other ???? and the price for both units (obviously i only need one) was 25k US. I'm wondering if.......... A - they made a mistake. B - It does a lot more than connect the box to the shaft. Or C - it's yet another case of a NZ agent wanting to make as much annual $$ as his US counterpart but only turns over a 100th of the merchandise = so the product needs a humongous price tag. Most of the time i find it far less expensive to buy US and send it here. Its pretty helpful having a sister in Texas.

Karuhi, yeah I'd take those part numbers and have your sister check for a local outlet, alternately if you send them to me via PM I'll reach out to the local rep here in Fort Lauderdale. I also have an account with an east coast US distribution house, not sure they carry it but more than happy to check.

My uncle used to run into the same thing in France with his Harley Davidson, the parts catalogues they had over there had no prices.... the US ones at least had MSRP (expensive) but often the prices there were 150-175% of US MSRP. Needless to say I hauled a lot of bike parts to Europe while he was still alive.

Comment

Working...
                            X