Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974 Mako 23 Full Restoration begins now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Mako 23 Full Restoration begins now....

Just pulled her home and tearing her apart. Hull is in great shape, floor/tanks/console, not so much.. Getting her tore down this week and cleaned up and then will come up with a game plan.. Still torn on whether to close and bracket the transom or rebuild the stock and increase the height of the splashwell and fish boxes so they are flush with the gunnels.... I plan on strapping a 300 Zuke on it when im done so we'll have to see how this goes....

Attached Files

couple more
    Attached Files

Comment

Having been there, done that, I would go bracket and cap the transom similar to an inboard rather than trying to reconfigure the transom.

Whichever way you go, you'll have fun and enjoy the end result! Keep us posted of your progress.

Comment

Tanks out... a little pressure and she popped right out without too much diggin. Of course much of the remaining gas is still in the boat mixed with rain water... and now we dig.... floors coming up this week i dont have high hopes for any of it being salvaged... This particular boat has glass stringers in the rear that appear to be foam filled as well... anyone have experience there? wondering if i should just open the stringers up while were there and replace that foam as well. it seems a little wet where exposed, but im not sure if the water couldve penetrated beyond the exposed edges Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	551705 Click image for larger version

Name:	bbb.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	551706

Comment

Originally posted by mugwump4 View Post
          Having been there, done that, I would go bracket and cap the transom similar to an inboard rather than trying to reconfigure the transom.

Whichever way you go, you'll have fun and enjoy the end result! Keep us posted of your progress.
          I was going back and forth, but i feel like if i dont close and bracket now im going to be wanting it in 2-3 years anyways so might as well do it now.. cutting the floor and fish boxes out this week

Comment

still digging.. floors off, boxes out pulling some more foam out of the stringers this week. Foam and glass components on order, we'll be starting to put her back together by 8/1 hopefully Click image for larger version

Name:	fhfdh.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	552471 Click image for larger version

Name:	sdg.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	552472

Comment

Working...
            X