Transoms repair help in nc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transoms repair help in nc?

I am looking for some one to help with repairs or a cost for repair. I am thinking about buying a 1987 248 cc with a 250 hp yam hanging of a long bracket. Seems to have bowed the transom out a 1" or 2. I would love to either fix it with someone or a price on getting it done.i am located in Durham NC
    Last edited by Bumsride; 02-12-2021, 10:54 AM.

Ok I have looked at it a little closer. Did they make some of the transom with a slight bow? Starting to think just the motor bracket might be loose? I am new to boating so any help is appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bumsride; 02-12-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Based on that pic, the bolts are obviously loose. Question is why? you need to look inside and see if the bolts have pulled through the transom or if they are just loose, or potentially the bolts are corroded inside and need to be replaced. Either way, I wouldn't use the boat until you figure out why those bolts are loose.

Comment

That bracket is not appropriate for the boat, you need a full floatation bracket, that is not a factory install. Look down in the bilge and find the bolts for the bracket and see if they are being pulled onto the transom, like the transom is soft. Look all around the transom inside and out looking for cracks or delamination. If the transom is solid you may be able to get away with replacing that bracket with a full floatation bracket, guessing maybe 5K. If the transom is soft or wet it will be more than double that figure. Get a survey before you purchase.
        David, New Kent, Va[br]

[br]Project Thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=21067[br]

Comment

Do you have pictures of a full floatation bracket? And how go about getting a survey?

Comment

Ok I am getting a little worried about buying this tomorrow...... Any idea of what a boat like this should sell for? I am looking at $5500 tomorrow. But I don't know enough to be able to afford another $5_$10k. Any thoughts?

Comment

sent you pm.

I don't claim to be an expert, I'm new on the boat scene too, and finding out with my wallet too.
              My project is 2 years(easy) and I knew and expected everything I have found and uncovered.
              I wanted a total re-do/ make it how I want it train of thought. ( a boat I couldn't afford or buy)

do your homework.
              you are possibly looking at a total rebuild project.
              with 5.5k as a start.
              you could spend double that easy doing things the right way.
              let alone a re-power.
              then again it could be a diamond in rough, but don't count on it or hold your breath.
              A +30yr old boat more than not... is way overdue for major repairs.
              another plus could be if it was garage kept or in dry storage(Rare)
              my .02 cents

keep us posted.

Comment

If you are that nervous slow down and do your homework. Google outboard floatation bracket and you will see pictures. To get a survey done you need to find a marine surveyor in your area. They will come out and inspect the boat top to bottom and give you a full report on its condition. The value all depends on the condition of the boat, no real way to answer that one without more info.

Current
                '76 Mako 25 w/ '03 300 Yamaha HPDI
                Previous
                '85 Mako 21B w/ '94 225 yamaha
                '73 Mako 19 w/ '96 112spl Evinrude
                Brick, NJ

Comment

Thanks for your input..... The bracket that is on their I stainless and looks healthy. Really looks good under the covers. I really think bolt's are loose. But I think it needs bigger back plates (2"x5") are in there now. As for the diamond in the ruff. It maybe. It's been covered for 12yrs I know of and has not seen the water in 10yrs. My plan was to fix it the right way. And hopefully get it back out to sea some action. I really don't want to have to change the motor either. Not looking for a speed boat just a good and safe one. I guess I will bring it home tomorrow ,wish me luck. When I get it home ? I am sure I will have more questions. So thanks in advance. Keith

Comment

Small world...I’m in Durham too and recently picked up an older mako. Hopefully mine doesn’t turn out to be a major project but with boats I like to assume the worst! I’m far from an expert but have had boats before and helped my younger brother with a number of fixes to his ‘80s vintage 224. Happy to meet up and give you my thoughts. Feel free to text / call nine1zerotwo007threesix5. Jon

Comment

If its what you want and don't mind whatever problems that show up.. thats better than great.
                      From what I have seen, the old Mako's are made outstanding, or overbuilt. I know I have had to fight to get everything un-done to obtain access for repairs.
                      I also was determined to get my Mako, I drove 30 hrs. left Wed. night drove to NY, and drug it back to NC, home Friday afternoon(about 1900 miles and $300 for fuel)
                      Enjoying every minute I put into it. But I will know what I have when I get done with it. (something that can't be mass produced and affordable to most)

I agree that the bracket looks healthy or enough. My concern is the leverage of it hanging on an "old" transom. and/or how its mounted.
                      "old" = in need of work.
                      And I say that because with 300-400 Lbs. dangling with the leverage in mind. if that transom is compromised.... just bouncing down the road, potholes etc. you could end up dragging the motor by controls like a skier.(twisted attempt at humor) or equally as bad, rough waters and motor gets a full drink.. neither good options.
                      now those are extreme thoughts. and hopefully far fetched. but with those points in mind the importance of doing due diligence to know integrity of all points.
                      1 Last neg. thought. just because it survived the trip home doesn't mean all is well, but its a good start.

Best of Luck.
                      and keep us posted.

don't forget.
                      the folks on here can point you where to get supplies.
                      been there done that too.
                      Last edited by Lectro88; 02-14-2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I was chatting with Keith on the phone earlier and based on what I know (not a lot)...I would’ve bet money that was not a factory bracket. After doing some ‘research’ (googling interwebs), i see multiple other ‘87 248 walkarounds with this exact same bracket.

So is this a bracket mako used in ‘87 before moving to their more normal in house designed bracket in ‘88 that we see on all other mako bracketed boats?

Was the ‘87 248 walkaround transom factory enclosed at the factory or are all the pics I am seeing are boats that have had the transom enclosed?!?!

Comment

The transom for this boat was enclosed by Mako, at the time they were looking to outsource the brackets. It seems Armstrong was less than cooperative with Mako so they were unable to reach consensus. A few of these boats had brackets put on by dealers including the few that are out there with this SS bracket. Mako not being happy with the lack of floatation began building their own brackets, which is what you see from then on.
                          David, New Kent, Va[br]

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find one of the 88 model floatation bracket? Pictures please..

Comment

Originally posted by Bumsride View Post
                              Does anyone know where I can find one of the 88 model floatation bracket? Pictures please..
                              You will have to have one made for your boat, a lot of CM guys have used these guys:

http://www.custommarinewelding.com/

David, New Kent, Va[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X