No announcement yet.

1992 221b - Don’t Call it a Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the dual 9" idea. Same cost as a single 12". You don't have to split the screen. And redundancy in case one breaks assuming you get both units with the same hardware/software.

If it were my boat, I would put the two screens together and find a way to leave room for a big glove box like the factory design. I find it useful for storing the food you don't want in the cooler. Space left open by moving the switches to the dash would be another glove box but that would actually hold wallet, phone, keys, etc.

Great job so far. Always look forward to your updates.
    95 232 w/225 Opti Hollywood, FL

Comment

Spent another Saturday afternoon on the boat…that is working on it, ha!

Finished the cockpit drains fix and got 2/3rds of the surge brakes installed.

Here are links to the valve, hose and thru hull drains if anyone needs the same…

https://www.hopkins-carter.com/acrem..._AaqYy6j6oj-_Q

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRBQ2C...UJj7UOo1kh5Dm0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33245311519...GccjHFiKos3vG0

Also got to figuring on what size freshwater tank I want and where it will go…think ~12 gallon and in the console. Will but batteries on either side of tank to keep as much weight forward as possible. Anyone have a reco for a freshwater pump?

….and…what paint should I use to repaint the interior of my console. The current paint is flaking off and is a mess. Just use regular bilge paint??

Comment

Regarding the water tank, I put a 30 gallon one right where you plan on putting yours. I got it from amazon which is from https://www.classacustoms.com/. They sell pumps on there too. They used to have a kit on amazon that came with the tank, all the hoses and a pump for less than $150 which I thought was reasonable. I've had it now going on two years and so far so good. I know 30 gallons is a lot but I've used more than half of it on occasion. Plus I still have space for my batteries (3) plus 8 life vests and my bait table.

Comment

Originally posted by hectorsn View Post
          Regarding the water tank, I put a 30 gallon one right where you plan on putting yours. I got it from amazon which is from https://www.classacustoms.com/. They sell pumps on there too. They used to have a kit on amazon that came with the tank, all the hoses and a pump for less than $150 which I thought was reasonable. I've had it now going on two years and so far so good. I know 30 gallons is a lot but I've used more than half of it on occasion. Plus I still have space for my batteries (3) plus 8 life vests and my bait table.
          Found it, thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Class-Customs...179691&sr=8-15

Could you share a pic of the space it takes up?

Also…this evening I redid the livewell caulk…not that there was much left previously. Used BoatLife Life Sealant which is a blend of silicon and polyurethane. I taped off, caulked and then smoothed with a medium size tongue depressor. You have to work quick as it seemed to skin over fairly fast. Aside from how bright white it is, I’m happy with how it turned out and will see how it holds up re: mildew, yellowing, etc.

Last edited by S4cruiser; 09-20-2021, 05:47 PM.

Comment

So here it is with all the stuff in the console.

And this shot you can see the pump. The pump I got a couple of years ago was a WFCO. Don't know if it's any better, worse, same as the one in the kit now. It works fine but don't expect the same pressure you would get from your house.

I open up the console to fill the tank. The plan is to one day install a fill cap on the side of the console. The hose goes through the rigging tube and to the transom where I store it out of the way and where it's most often used in the cockpit. It's just a garden hose but in 1/2" so it fits better in the rigging tube. The plan with that is to also have it on the side of the console in one of those retractable coils inside a cylinder with a pie plate cover. Something like this:https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hosec...-hose--8590663

Comment

Originally posted by hectorsn View Post
              So here it is with all the stuff in the console.

And this shot you can see the pump. The pump I got a couple of years ago was a WFCO. Don't know if it's any better, worse, same as the one in the kit now. It works fine but don't expect the same pressure you would get from your house.

I open up the console to fill the tank. The plan is to one day install a fill cap on the side of the console. The hose goes through the rigging tube and to the transom where I store it out of the way and where it's most often used in the cockpit. It's just a garden hose but in 1/2" so it fits better in the rigging tube. The plan with that is to also have it on the side of the console in one of those retractable coils inside a cylinder with a pie plate cover. Something like this:https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hosec...-hose--8590663
              That fits in there really nice and it has great capacity! Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Finished the center portion of the windshield during lunch today. Took a little fiddling to get the weather stripping seated correctly but once I figured it out I made decent work with getting it all installed. I chose not to use silicone like it was from the factory (just to see) and the weather stripping seems to hold the glass in there great.

I used my random orbital and compounded the glass which removed all the caked on water spots...worked great.

[

Comment

Wing windows done! I found that using a small piece of rubber to hold the window centered/in place while I installed the other 2 sides of weather stripping.

Comment

Comment

No pics…but…I spent this afternoon scraping the most piss poor applied gelcoat inside the console. Maybe it is just old or poor prep but this stuff is a royal pita (I can look at it wrong and it flakes off). . Hope to have it cleaned up enough for some TotalBoat bilge paint this week.

Also got me three (3) 55 gallon drums (were used for ethyl alcohol previously) and a Fill-rite gasoline rated transfer pump…so I can drain the 130-140 gallons of gas out of the tank. Hope to get that done this week and tank pulled soon…then off to a builder in Wilmington.

Comment

Spent this evening removing shift and throttle cables from Mercury bimini control mount. Never done this before and there weren’t many online resources but it ended up being super easy. Hardest part was figuring out that shifting into neutral then moving throttle allowed access to second cable bolt. Next up is removing hydraulic steering lines from helm and trim tab pump then console gets pulled.

Ordered and received oem Mercury deck oil fill kit and then ordered new oem Mercury bimini control mount cover so it looks all fresh!

Comment

I just restored my 181 Flats a few months ago and ran into the same issue with the oval drain flappers. I couldn't find a similar white material so I ended up using a red rubber gasket material I found at Ace Hardware in the plumbing area. It comes in a pack of 2 small sheets. Each sheet is a different thickness. I forget which one I chose but you'll figure it out. don't use the old one as a pattern because it has likely shrunk. Pretty easy and works perfect. Only difference is its a light red instead of white.
                          [br]94 Mako 181 Flats w/[br]2001 Merc 150xr6[br]Owned since 2000[br]

Comment

[QUOTE=S4cruiser;n553383]Worked on a template for a new dash. I’m leaning towards the layout with two (2) 9” displays vs the 12” choices…but am keen to hear what others would choose.

Also not set on if I build the panel myself out of 1/2” acrylic or have NewWireMarine do it out of 1/2” LuxMatte. They quoted ~$1400 for the panel cut plus 14 Contura switches jumper wired, backlit logo and some other plugs like usb and cig plug.

That's actually not a bad deal for that work.

Double check where the wheel lands/what is blocked from view when your at the helm with those configurations. Personally I like the dual display but weighed against easier visibility, I'd strongly recommend the single 12" its incredibly larger surface area wise and you will notice it. If you really want to monitor gauges and have the MFD, look at Veratron Oceanlink gauges, they take standard inputs and have a NMEA output (alarm, level, tach, etc).

Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for either the gauges, wiring, or Chartplotter/MFD you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes_26 View Post
                              Originally posted by S4cruiser View Post
                              Worked on a template for a new dash. I’m leaning towards the layout with two (2) 9” displays vs the 12” choices…but am keen to hear what others would choose.

Also not set on if I build the panel myself out of 1/2” acrylic or have NewWireMarine do it out of 1/2” LuxMatte. They quoted ~$1400 for the panel cut plus 14 Contura switches jumper wired, backlit logo and some other plugs like usb and cig plug.
                              That's actually not a bad deal for that work.

Double check where the wheel lands/what is blocked from view when your at the helm with those configurations. Personally I like the dual display but weighed against easier visibility, I'd strongly recommend the single 12" its incredibly larger surface area wise and you will notice it. If you really want to monitor gauges and have the MFD, look at Veratron Oceanlink gauges, they take standard inputs and have a NMEA output (alarm, level, tach, etc).

Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do for either the gauges, wiring, or Chartplotter/MFD you choose.
                              Thanks. I actually ended up going with another place and signed off on a proof last week (1/2” black acrylic). I waffled back and forth on two 9s vs one 12 and in the end, cost was too much of a difference to go one 12. I was able to get two 9s (one with 3-1 active ducer and one just maps) for $1700 vs almost $2400 for the one 12…go xse flavor of both.

I’ll be getting my electronics, gauges, etc all from him. (2) 9” mfds, simrad vhf, fusion nmea radio and blue sea pushbutton switches. Includes fully wired and (2) blue sea fuse panels and backlit logo/switch labels. Was ~$3400…was a 10-20% discount off msrp for electronics. 3 year warranty on the switches.

Last edited by S4cruiser; 10-03-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I have been working on cleaning up the inside of the console and finally have made enough progress for some pics. Spent a few hours during the evening over a week scraping and chipping out the old gelcoat that was delaminating. After that I sanded with 180 grit and wiped clean with grease/wax remover. Two coats on the console foldout door and one coat on the rest. Happy with the results so far…paint is TotalBoat epoxy bilge. Goes on thick and tacks quick but takes a while to dry hard.

Also mounted new perko anchor light base (same as original) and a Mercury deck oil fill. The oil fill SUCKED…I need a midget body with Kevin Garnet arms to reach what I needed to. It’s done tho!

This week is rain everyday so maybe next weekend I can get the steering lines removed from the helm and console pulled….then it’s coffin lid and tank time - yay.

Last edited by S4cruiser; 10-03-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X