1992 221b - Don’t Call it a Restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 221b - Don’t Call it a Restore

I picked up a 221b a couple weeks ago and while she’s fairly decent she also needs some love. Has a 2008 225 Optimax that’s got a new oem lower unit and decent maintenance history, newer electronics and well built but older trailer. Tank has ‘supposedly’ been replaced...if not and I have issues then I’ll replace it.

My first major task is to replace the suspension on the trailer (‘98 Loadmaster), rewire and add electric drums to one axle. Axles and hubs are newerish but no brakes currently. While my tow vehicle is a Chevy Duramax...having trailer brakes is still preferred for me. Got parts in route for this.

Also on the list is a wet sand, buff, polish and sealant/wax job. Got parts in route for this too.

Already have a set of placards coming from Eddie. Rub rail replacement is a task I hope to tackle soon too. Still contemplating whether I do a stainless insert or classic rubber style.

Couple things I need to source are a replacement for the plastic vent piece on the transom...mine is cracked in a couple places. Also need to find some rubber flaps for the large round scuppers. Oh and the bottom paint needs a refresh or removal.

Pic for clicks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D8EB9435-6FCF-49E9-957D-4478B283D6AE.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	5.19 MB
ID:	549470

Welcome! I have the same boat and engine, although newer boat but older engine. It's my first boat and I do love her. Great for family and fishing. I was just out in her yesterday making memories.

On the subject of the scupper flaps, I left those out. The scupper valves do a fantastic job of keeping water off the cockpit floor, that is if you have them and they are working properly. In my opinion, those rubber flappers just help keep more water on the floor than stopping water from getting in.

Enjoy your new purchase!
    95 232 w/225 Opti Hollywood, FL

Comment

Nice boat...Welcome to the ClassicMako forum.

Eric
      A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
      https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

I have the same Mako, 1992. The plastic vent on the transom you can find at West marine. It’s the exact fit.
        221B Mako[br]

Comment

Originally posted by hectorsn View Post
          On the subject of the scupper flaps, I left those out. The scupper valves do a fantastic job of keeping water off the cockpit floor, that is if you have them and they are working properly. In my opinion, those rubber flappers just help keep more water on the floor than stopping water from getting in.
          Good info for sure...I will be sure to check for proper valve function.

Comment

Originally posted by slider View Post
            The plastic vent on the transom you can find at West marine. It’s the exact fit.
            Perfect, thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X