MY FIRST 19 REBUILD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY FIRST 19 REBUILD

Last winter I was looking for a old center console to rebuild. I found a old 1970's Mako that someone started a rebuild with. The stringers were solid , floor was solid with no moisture expect a little in the rear corner. We will be boating on inland lakes and rivers in the Midwest. We will be using this boat for 90% leisure and 10% fish as I have other boats for fishing. During the Rebuild I decided I wanted to have a bilge with a pump as kids will be climbing in and out of the boat at the sand bar and I do not want water sitting in the boat. Attached will be photos of my progress so far.

I am currently at a standstill as the weather is getting to cool to do any fiberglass or foam work. Come spring I will be ready to get going on this again. What would you recommended for installing foam back in the boat. I was thinking of cutting holds throughout as poring the 2 part mix down the holes . Does this need to be anything greater than 2lb density. is this floor structural or just for flotation?

here are some more photos before tear down
    Attached Files

Comment

Here I recorded the deck.
      Attached Files

Comment

working on the transom
        Attached Files

Comment

Here I attached the top to the hull. I have a good size gap near the transom
          Attached Files

Comment

This will be the bilge that I am making. Their will be two drains in the cockpit that will drain to the bilge here. This will keep the cockpit dry when we are at the beach for the day. I have two access panels for access to the drain hoses.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy....welcome to the club!

Looks like you been putting in your shoptime with this ole nineteen.

The original foam in these Mako's is 2lb density, so you would be fine refoaming with today's 2lb density closed cell urethane expanding foam. I would look for and remove any wet foam prior to adding any new foam.

I am not sure I understand your plans with the bilge??? I will be following along to get a better understanding of how the main deck will drain water.

Thanks for sharing your project here on ClassicMako!

Eric
              A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
              https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

Thank you PoleLock for the information. All of the foam is removed from the boat. Any Idea of how much foam I will need for the two part 2lb foam? Should the foam be tight from the hull to the deck or should there be a gap between the foam and the deck?

near the end of the cockpit their will be two drains as shown below. These will be attached to a 1 1/2 hose and though a thru hull fitting into the bilge in back. The cockpit drain's are on Back order and I will expect them within 3 weeks. once I mount them I will post a picture as it will make more sense.

Comment

Working...
                X