No announcement yet.

"Free" boat, 19ft mako tear down and rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so little bit of progress, and to start I apologize, I'm terrible at taking pictures of the process, but anyway was low 40's this past Sunday here in south jersey maybe colder still Wanted to do a little fiberglass work on the console,

so I came up with a plan, I closed off all the holes and openings in the console with cardboard and tape and put a space heater inside the console after about an hour was pretty warm to the touch all over so figured I'd give it a shot and worked great, was definitely surprised cured nice and quick next going to reinforce the stern facing side of console and close in the left side opening

the right side I found a glove compartment that will fit perfectly just want to double check when it comes In

then after that sanding and fairing

Comment

Comment

So work has been a little slow due to the weather, but have been just doing a lot of prepping sanding and grinding on he hull so when the time comes it'll be pretty much ready for glass

also measuring for stringers and trying to decide how to build the cradle for the fuel tank as the boat didn't have one under Meath the floor originally

Plugging away at the console as well bonded a sheet of pvc board to the back side of console for strength and a nice base for glass. Covered the left side with glass the right side I will be cutting out as I found a glove box that will fit perfectly in that area

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ok so a little update on the boat, still plugging away at it mostly focusing on console and patching some old screw holes on the gunnel of boat on decent days

At the fairing step for e console and cut a hatch in the front to access wirering and rigging and built a shelf for a good spot to mount battery switch etc

started to do a little prepping inside the hull as well and it seems like the floor color used to be a turquoise ish color, is this an original option from back in the day? Not sure if I've ever seen one

Comment

Comment

Quote:
                  seems like the floor color used to be a turquoise ish color, is this an original option from back in the day? Not sure if I've ever seen one [/QUOTE]

Not sure if its the same thing.
                  But some of the resin,.. especially the thick places like where they filled around the rigging pipe,.. is a greenish color. (I know its not the floor, but if its underlayment resin that you are seeing the color it may be same thing)

I have seen that several places on/in my 69

nice progress.
                  don't feel bad mine has been slowly plugging along too.

Comment

Originally posted by Crodia05 View Post
                    started to do a little prepping inside the hull as well and it seems like the floor color used to be a turquoise ish color, is this an original option from back in the day? Not sure if I've ever seen one
                    Check this thread out about the teal green deck....indeed a factory option from back in da day!

https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...9-1969-mako-19

Eric
                    A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
                    https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

Comment

Comment

So most of fairing is done on console, gotten to the point where I needed to hit it with primer so I could see the imperfections overall happy with it a few touch up lefts to do.

made some progress on hull as well filling holes and finding stress cracks and starting to decide how to tackle them

the more I sand the worse the boat gets, seems as tho left side of boat took a hard hit of some sort at one point over its life. A lot of filler towards bow and then back by stern

still doing what I can do to get it done, will try to take some pictures of progress on hull

Comment

Good to see your progress is paying off.
                            Hate to hear about the impact.
                            That could have been anything, Literally.
                            Its kinda mind boggling what, not only boats, but any source of transportation, even aircraft withstand.
                            No real way of knowing if all that happened at the same time, But you could have storm or hurricane survival damage. washed ashore or beat against a dock or pier. or piled up on another boat.
                            I know nobody wants to think that happened and its all just wild guess's at best.
                            But these boats we are working on. Just stop and ponder where all they could have been and done. (the amount fish caught)They are capsules of unknown history.
                            And now we are part of that. kinda cool.

Comment

Ok just a little update, haven't forgotten about the old mako, priority was moved to kitchen renovation at home, planning to get back on track this week, but do have the stingers built one is glassed into boat started building rough bulkheads as well

Would also like to share my IMO a score , the same friend I originally got the mako from sent me a picture of a boat that was headed to the dump said all parts were for the taking, we'll just so happens it had a decent t top

for free I couldn't pass it up, it is a little narrow but we just got a new aluminum welder at work I've been waiting to break it and I think I have a plan to widen it, as a said for free I figured it was worth a go

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X