"Free" boat, 19ft mako tear down and rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

So got a little done on the boat today, more grinding and some glass work, put a layer of 1.5 csm on the transom skin and on the forward facing side of the transom core hopefully next weekend it will be bonded into the hull

Comment

Looking good Cee... be careful using them dollar store foam rollers with polyester based resins. The roller will disintegrate in minutes and make a mess of your layup....don't ask me how I know this 🤕

Eric
        A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

• Crodia05
          Crodia05 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Eric lol I didn't plan on using the rollers just the trays and brushes, bought packs or good rollers from Lowe's

Comment

Ok so a little update from the weekend, managed to get the core bonded in, edges filled with peanut butter and drain plug installed and sealed with more peanut butter

epoxied a piece of pex tubing to the drain plug port, drilled he hole through transom a tad bigger so the port and Pipe are completely surrounded by peanut butter

plastic Bag with corner cut off worked great for piping in the peanut butter and then used a spoon to smooth it out

hopefully thanksgiving weekend I'll be able to get everything cleaned up ready for tabing and glass super excited but also a tad nervous

Comment

Okay so got the transom covered in glass this weekend, went ok, got a little ahead of myself and tried to do too much at once's overall came out good

top of transom got some pretty bad air pockets so I'll have to grind that all out and wrap the top again not to big of a deal but that's what i get for trying to do to much at once

for now I sealed it off with gel coat so it's all easier to grind down, I know I'll have to remove all that before I pay any more glass but from what I've read and seen it'll be easier

Comment

Comment

Congrats on your score. Very nice work so far.
                I am doing a 100% Cut & Gut on a 69 CC too.
                New Transom and raise also, Total Stringer replacement. and adding twin 60g. tanks below deck. thats for starters...
                Do you mind if I PM you, I have a few questions, rather than H.Jack your thread.

Comment

• Crodia05
                  Crodia05 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure thing no expert here but happy to exchange ideas

So just an update, work on boat has been a little slow with the colder weather here in south jersey, but last weekend was in the 60's so got the air bubbles in the transom ground out and re wrapped, so all said and done I believe I have six layers of glass on both sides and threes layers over lapping over the top and 3 over lapping layers of tabbing from the core to the hull before the sheets were applied

brought the console inside the garage to strip it down and assess the situation, plan is to pretty much just fill every hole and opening and just start fresh, thoughts were put batteries under the seat in front of console,
                as of now also thinking of running no windshield or frame, keep it pretty basic

also best part of the update scored a deal on a motor from a buddy, a little older than what I was looking for but even if I find something else before boat is ready for the motor I can still turn around and resell it

It's a 2stroke 115 Johnson that runs great and for the price and the fact that I know the history of the motor it'll do everything I need it to do

Comment

Comment

Cee....you mentioned relocating the batteries under the console, that's a good idea. I would store the outboard oil tank under there as well.

The 19's center console is wide and has a large area under there for storage if you can provide access.

These ole 19's don't like a lot of weight sitting in the rear. 😏

Any updates on your progress?

Eric
                    A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

I'm not sure if you are interested in this, but I just came across this center console.

It's local and free....would go along with your 19 theme

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/b...249787875.html

Eric

1972 Classic Mako 19

Comment

• Crodia05
                        Crodia05 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey thanks Eric, looks to be in a little worse shape than mine, but as far as batteries and oil tanks that was my plan,

As far as other progress goes have pretty much completely gotten the console stripped down, will have to take some pictures at this point I'm just going to start filling holes and getting this as cleaned up as possible as I can't do much outside work with the weather,

On the boat itself just plan on doing some grinding and sanding prep work so once the weather does break I can get right back into some more glass work

Hopefully this weekend I'd like to start measuring and making templates for my raised stringers and figuring where exactly the new fuel tank should sit, from what I've read it seems as tho I should go as far forward as possible

Comment

So did some work on the console over the weekend, seems as tho the more sanding undo the worse it gets but then again over all it is still solid structurally

layed a layer of 1708 and csm over the top of transom and peanut butter glued in a piece of pvc board to the existing hatch opening in seat, plan is the completely fiberglass over it then order a new smaller hatch offline so far so good, weather hasn't been to Great here so not much work done on the hill aside from a little sanding and grinding prep but nothing to talk about

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X