"Free" boat, 19ft mako tear down and rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Free" boat, 19ft mako tear down and rehab

Hi guys just joined the forum trying to figure out how everything works, scored a 70 19ft for free off a buddy of mine def rough but nothing time and money can't fix

so far just removed motor seats and top sold them for a few dollars towards the fund, hopefully this weekend I'll be putting it on blocks and removing console

Floor and transom both need to be replaced my plan was start with floor and then do transom after wards I've done. One floor in the past with a buddy of mine and as far as fiberglass work goes I'm ok (just takes a little more sanding) will be open to any guidance through out this process

first question, I've seen a few people say it's not a good idea to cut floor and transom out at same time because the boat can rack? My plan with transom was do it from the back and leave the inner skin and also raise the transom in the process, so that being said is cutting both out ok or should I just stick to my original plan as start with floor then do transom afterwards? Thanks in advance

gonna try to post some pictures if I can figure it out

Comment

Comment

Great Score!!! Looks like you have an early production Mako 19....a classic for sure! Nice to see another ClassicMako 19 restore on the site.

first question, I've seen a few people say it's not a good idea to cut floor and transom out at same time because the boat can rack? My plan with transom was do it from the back and leave the inner skin and also raise the transom in the process, so that being said is cutting both out ok or should I just stick to my original plan as start with floor then do transom afterwards? Thanks in advance
        I think if the boat is supported well, you should be fine replacing the deck and transom at the same time. I would suggest doing the transom from the inside since the deck is getting replaced. I also like your plan of raising the replacement deck. Be sure to check the hull stringer condition/integrity while she's opened up.

There are plenty of threads on the forum detailing deck and transom replacement from the inside. So grab a beverage of choice....then settle into your favorite reading chair and enjoy the wealth of information the classicmako forum provides.

Looking forward to following your restore.

Eric
        A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

• Crodia05
          Crodia05 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! That's why I joined the forum from what I've seen so far def a lot of good information!

Comment

Got the boat up on blocks and pulled the console, I'm gutting the floor regardless but just wondering if there should of been a hatch for a fuel tank if there is on under deck? I've gotten mixed answers as to if there is a below deck tank on the 70's

Comment

just wondering if there should of been a hatch for a fuel tank if there is on under deck? I've gotten mixed answers as to if there is a below deck tank on the 70's
            Cee....it looks like your Mako 19 is of the 68'/69' year era. The center console design as well as the rub rail and hardware are all common with other pre 70's Mako 19's.

Also about your fuel tank....Mako installed above deck fuel tanks located under the center console in 68'/69' year models.

Later in 1970 Mako made a few changes to the Mako 19. The factory relocated the fuel tank below deck as well as changed the center console design, rub rail and hardware.

That being said....now would be the ideal time to relocate your fuel cell below deck.

Eric
            A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
            https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

So now strongly considering, doing the transom from the inside makes more sense, My only concern is when removing fish boxes should I leave the little box for the rigging or what are my other options to run the rigging nicely

Comment

Also ordered a 10x20 tent today to cover the boat with once i need to keep it dry, obviously not the best option but what I got to work with can't quite fit the boat in my garage ,

Comment

Ok so did some gutting tonight got the floor out and a bunch of the foam, didn't find a gas tank or any evidence of one foam came out rather easily which leads me to believe it was blown in after a floor replacement, there was also a rubber tube fiberglassed into the floor all in all not as bad as I thought it would be underneath, all the foam I removed was very heavy and super saturated

Comment

Comment

Comment

So did a little more cutting this afternoon, started on the fish boxes to to get a little closer to the transom, was trying to take the little box out for the rigging in one piece in case I use it again, but a lot harder to remove that I thought it would be

idk if it's the foam holding it in or what pretty sure I'm going to go a different route anyway so if I destroy it not a big deal

Comment

Working...
                        X