No announcement yet.

1969 CC 19'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Lectro88; 02-22-2021, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Comment

Moving along since the last time we talked, looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by Crodia05 View Post
          Moving along since the last time we talked, looking good!
          Thanks Crodia05.
          I have a mountain of work to do.
          And being over particular doesn’t help the process of getting done sooner.

And I’m impressed with your work and progress too.

Comment

Lectro...the machine worked like an oversized can opener

Wide open now...let the fun begin! Keep us updated as you move forward.

Eric
            A wise man once said, "Son... if it has tits, tires or a transom... sooner or later it's gonna give you problems." -the old man

1972 Classic Mako 19
            https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...t-squot-ole-19

Comment

[QUOTE=PoleLock;n549966]Lectro...the machine worked like an oversized can opener

Wide open now...let the fun begin! Keep us updated as you move forward.

That excavator is hands down some of the best money I've Ever Spent.

I got a lot done today/or this afternoon.
              Got all rotted ply out transom and tabbing scraped away.
              Got all the foam off gunnels, need to set hull back on trailer and move to dumpster 200 feet away.
              I found the colony of Black Carpenter Ants in the foam trying to stay warm,... And I RUINED their day.. (pics later)
              Also the ants had tunneled in the wet, rotted transom plywood. And the moisture in wood and foam made a perfect place to live(Those days have ended)
              You may remember me saying the ants were main reason I wanted Cap off.. That and wet foam.

Tomorrow
              1. I plan to weigh hull with this remainder of wet foam.
              2. haul to dumpster, throw away foam, Re-weigh hull.
              3. start some sanding on the inner hull, leveling out imperfections. (OCD)
              4. pressure wash inner hull after sanding.

Yes, the fun has just began. Plenty more to come.

Thanks everyone, for your help, support.

Comment

Here are some pics of ants in foam.
                in 3rd pic I uncovered a small hole, 2 ants investigated their last crime.
                shoved small piece foam in hole went to house and got Raid, Hot Shot, and Off Cutter yard Guard.
                I did exploritory surgery and opened up several coveys of slow moving Black Ants.
                I proceeded to turn them white with different flavors of previous mentioned cans....
                Ants are Gone. or maybe resting peacefully.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Lectro88; 02-23-2021, 05:48 PM.

Comment

A few pics of transom
                  I discovered today that at bottom of Mitre or step down of transom, there were 2 layers ply, that area was 38-40" wide or across.
                  Then going to outside of hull it was only 1 layer covered in CSM.
                  I got all removed and scrapped down to bare fiberglass.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Lectro88; 02-23-2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Foam scraped away
                    Now here in middle pic the ply "looks" not too terrible.. this was the side attached to glass of the transom.
                    I think the 1st pic is the inner side of that same piece and you may can see the tunneling from the ants.
                    The last pic is all foam scrapped off.

Its still a Royal mess
                    Some cleaner pics soon.

If you guys are getting frequent notifications from me.
                    Its because I have to go outside with phone to upload pics,
                    then come back in house and edit or add comments of what I just added. from or on computer.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Lectro88; 02-23-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Made pretty progress today.
                      Did 1st. Hull weigh.
                      Got foam out.
                      did some sanding.
                      Swept out. Didn’t pressure wash.
                      Now I feel like a made 1st. mile stone.
                      Attached Files

Comment

now I am curious what was the difference in weight with and without foam?

Comment

Have not weighed after removal.
                          847 Lbs. With foam.

Comment

Originally posted by Lectro88 View Post
                            A few pics of transom
                            I discovered today that at bottom of Mitre or step down of transom, there were 2 layers ply, that area was 38-40" wide or across.
                            Then going to outside of hull it was only 1 layer covered in CSM.
                            I got all removed and scrapped down to bare fiberglass.
                            This is how mine was as well, not very much holding it to the hull, and I was surprised to find that is wasn't two layers of plywood the whole transom

Comment

I had said how stringers were not that bad considering age.
                              Still would not have left.
                              color was ok but just soaked.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Lectro88; 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Started and got most of the boards cut for transom.
                                My idea or method is different, time consuming in an unbelievable manner.
                                But when completed I think it will outlast me.
                                Its 2x3’s layed flat, 1/2” oak doweled, epoxied together then coated again and fiberglassed. All penetrations such as engine bolts will be epoxy finished, or poured/potted , then sleeeved with plastic or rubber pipe to accommodate 1/2 bolts, this will or should keep water from getting in for a good while.
                                You will notice the original height of transom, and you can see I’m passing the 20” mark going to 25”.
                                I have 2-3 boards left to cut. And drill tie down loops through(need longer bolts)
                                I spent most of the day on these 11 boards, but it was a lot of back and forth to saw and it was chilly today.
                                So anyone that’s been in transom knows that double ply is not full width, only 1 layer full width. Couldn’t tell if it was 1/2” or 3/4”
                                so thats 1”- 1-1/2”
                                my method is 2-1/2” and on its way to full solid 3” with fiberglass installed.
                                The wood dowel is exciting as the back of boards are ripped at 10 degrees so board lays flat/level and matches back fiberglass at transom, so the boards kinda stager 1/4” and the dowels. Have to slightly Angie to keep centered of the boards and not run out, so it’s funky at best. True, keeping true with untrue, so again slam exciting.
                                I was going to use my 20yr old treated, but it was heavier
                                than I wanted.
                                oh and I will fill the voids at bottom with super custom mitre, just more time to consume.
                                Hope you enjoy my insanity.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Lectro88; 03-05-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X